Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Does anyone use Skype?

I have opened an account so I can contact my son using the webcam. He has given me his Skype address which is just his name and number (not an email address).

I'm wondering how it works. How do we contact each other without an email address?

My address, I think, is the contact name I registered with.

It all seems so confusing!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:38 PM

Re: Skype

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Does anyone use Skype?

I have opened an account so I can contact my son using the webcam. He has given me his Skype address which is just his name and number (not an email address).

I'm wondering how it works. How do we contact each other without an email address?

My address, I think, is the contact name I registered with.

It all seems so confusing!!
Works just like messenger off email addresses - at least mine does. All it is is video conferencing. If you don't want to use video it works just like Yahoo Messenger.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:56 PM

That's what I thought Mark but when I created the account it was set up with my username, not an email type address.
That's whats puzzling me.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:16 PM

Hi Joy, when you think your son is online and he has Skype open, simply open your account up (first do a video and sound test), and his name should show a solid green 'cloud' with a white tick inside. Click on his name, then on 'call'. (I think, but once you're on it it's simple). You can choose to have video or just audio.

As I said, you may have to check/tweak audio, especially if you have a webcam, or microphone, or headset, to check all is working. I've been on Skype calls where speakers haven't been turned on! When my Mum was in Cyprus at her cousin's, I'm shouting at her, she's saying, Jan I can't hear you! Then on the screen I saw her cousin scurrying up the stairs to turn on the speakers.

Then also on her own laptop she had a similar problem.

If you want to test it out first on one of us, I would be happy to give you my Skype name!

Good luck.

PS, and when/if he calls you, then you click on 'answer'
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Thank you Jazzi. I was thinking that would be the way to do it. I will just have to wait until he comes on and then we'll be set up. I mostly have the sound off so I must remember to switch it on!!

Thanks for the offer. If I have any problems, I will bear you mind, thank you.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:30 AM

In order for to contact someone they have to be on your contact list. You have to send them a request to be a contact.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 11:15 AM

What Angel says is correct. Have you clicked onto the Skype emblem and seen your sons Skype name on your contact list? If you haven't accepted him it will be at the top of that page and it says Contacts and will have a emblem there waiting for you to accept his contact.
Its a great thing to use and I have been using it for a few years now. My Grandkids live in France so cant see them every week but can do now on Skype, plus my new baby Catherine and can watch her grow from a far.
Great invention and free too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 07:37 PM

It's great for people who have loved ones and friends all over the place. Personally I don't use it anymore, the wife is always on it, I used it a couple of times but being a shy chap meself I felt uncomfortable and awkward staring someone in the face and thought I'd never get off it, I'd rather talk to people I know in the flesh and in more relaxed surroundings...like a Bar..
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 03:51 AM

I chat on Skype regularly to friends from forums...rarely use the cam and just chat on the mike.
I don't think folks who haven't used it realise how clear the conversation can be.It's nothing like the telephone and is the nearest to having someone in the same room as yourself.
Only this morning I was chatting to a friend in Australia while I was preparing my dinner.She even commented on one of my parrots chattering away in the other room.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Poohdog, I took my netbook away to my holiday early in 2012 when I went to Singapore & New Zealand, so I could (a) amuse myself with writing and watching videos, (b) emailing and (c) Skyping Mum back home. Sometimes I was able (because I used hotel wifi) to swing the netbook around the room, and pointing towards the window, to show Mum the views!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top