Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Bionics

I was fascinated last night when I saw on the news that a soldier, Cpl Andrew Garthwaite (aged 26) from South Tyneside, was badly injured in Afghanistan when a Taliban grenade took off his right arm. He is believed to be the first person in the UK to have such a bionic arm.

It involved surgery, including having his nerve system rewired, and months of learning how to use the new arm.

To prepare for the technology the soldier underwent six hours of surgery at a hospital in Austria in January 2012 in a procedure called Targeted Muscle Reinnervation (TMR).

The surgeons at the hospital in the Medical University of Vienna had to rewire his nervous system - taking the nerve endings from his shoulder, that would have run down to his hand - and rewired these into his chest muscles.

He moves the hand by thought processes - remarkable!

I don't know how to put video links so it'll have to be via a general link to the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25320455

What a difference it must make to his life. Well done to those who pioneered and perfected this procedure.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Re: Bionics

Incredible and wonderful !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Technology is more or less out of control now. Massive changes are taking place at an accelerated pace. Who know what will be available in just a few years time? Stuff from sci-fi comics / films ain't so far fetched anymore. Probably anything will be possible with hi-tech eventually.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Incredible and wonderful !
Isn't it just. When I was a child, a couple of people my parents knew (men) had lost their hand or arm in factory accidents and the false hand they had was very noticeable and they couldn't use it. I hope these people end up with some kind of recognition (probably don't have knighthoods in Vienna) for the sheer brainpower to envisage the whole thing. Makes me proud of the human race (for a change!).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Technology is more or less out of control now. Massive changes are taking place at an accelerated pace. Who know what will be available in just a few years time? Stuff from sci-fi comics / films ain't so far fetched anymore. Probably anything will be possible with hi-tech eventually.
I was surprised he hadn't been referred to as the Six Million Dollar Man in some way or another - mind you, given the party trick he does I think he'd laugh it off anyway.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 04:54 PM

It's amazing what can be done to help our wounded soldiers in this present age ... who would have dreamed this wonderful technology could ever happen in real life...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 07:18 PM

This is technology at it's best, what it should be all about.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Great to see a young man get back the use of a limb, well done to all concerned.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2013, 05:30 PM

These are the people that should be held up as heroes and any knighthoods going should go in that direction. My son showed me another last night but I'll start a different thread as not many seem to be taken with this poor soldier's good fortune.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top