Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 02:29 AM

I Could Not Believe This

So, I was reading the newspaper today. There was an article in there by some chick from "The Washington Post"
She went on and on about how hard it is for people over 60 to use modern electronics. She was having a grand old time actually making fun of them.

I did not like that. Heck, there are people in their 20's who are not adept at using modern electronics.

I have been using computers since the 80's. Back then you had to go to an office supply store to even buy one. I had the Commodore but I also had the KayPro II, an office computer.

I learned to use computers all by myself. Right now, I also own an IPhone, Ipad, Smart TV. I have no problems in learning how to use any of them.

I just kinda resent the fact that some people believe that just because people are older, they ain't smart.
dreamer
tennessee usa
dreamer is female  dreamer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 03:14 AM

Re: I Could Not Believe This

I have an old Dell laptop a friend gave me. They showed me a few basics. I've been learning on my own. It's the terminology that gets me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Angelfire ->
So, I was reading the newspaper today. There was an article in there by some chick from "The Washington Post"
She went on and on about how hard it is for people over 60 to use modern electronics. She was having a grand old time actually making fun of them.

I just kinda resent the fact that some people believe that just because people are older, they ain't smart.
It isn't true either. according to recent surveys it is the over 55 demographic who are taking up technology and in particular social media at the fastest rate.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 07:31 AM

My parents were the first people I knew to have a Microwave oven - and that was when they were in their 70s. They both embraced new things - such as programming video recorders and a lot of things which we now take for granted. I love learning and suffer from withdrawal symptoms if I haven't something on the go to challenge me. Some technology I do not like - Kindles for example - but I always have to try them, if only so I know what others are talking about !!

OK - so some people may find some things a bit tricky - but how dare any reporter make such a sweeping generalisation!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Yes it is a very unfair statement. Perhaps there are people (like my siblings) who just may not be interested in the latest technology, and so don't bother.

Out of 4, I am the only one who absolutely embraces and tries to buy the latest things on the market. I'm the ony one with an iPhone, an iPad and more than one computer. It's because I have a deep rooted interest. Of my 3 siblings, yes, it's over the heads of two of them, and the third just uses her computer for emails, internet banking and FB to see what her children are up to. She may use it for more but not that I am aware of.

I've always had decent DVD recorders, even a DVD/VHS combi, I have sound surround systems attached to my telly and my computer, I have a TV tuner attached to my computer on which I record programmes and know how to convert them.

My home has always been full of electronic equipment for as long as I can remember! It's what my money goes on, rather than cigarettes, alcohol, gym membership, fashion, jewellery, or going out.

To say the over 60s struggle is unfair: they may just be uninterested. It may sound as if I'm contradicting myself here, but I know with my siblings it's not that they struggle.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My parents were the first people I knew to have a Microwave oven - and that was when they were in their 70s. They both embraced new things - such as programming video recorders and a lot of things which we now take for granted. I love learning and suffer from withdrawal symptoms if I haven't something on the go to challenge me. Some technology I do not like - Kindles for example - but I always have to try them, if only so I know what others are talking about !!

OK - so some people may find some things a bit tricky - but how dare any reporter make such a sweeping generalisation!
Yes, I have withdrawal symptoms too. I'm always in Maplins or Currys seeing what's now on the market.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:34 AM

I have my laptop, which I can cope with most of the time, a digital camera and my fairly simple mobile phone. I did buy a smart phone last year but I didn't get on with it , mainly because I didn't like the touch-screen keyboard.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Some folks just can't be arsed with new stuff, why work it out yourself, that's what your kids or Google were created for.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Angelfire ->

I did not like that. Heck, there are people in their 20's who are not adept at using modern electronics.

I have been using computers since the 80's. Back then you had to go to an office supply store to even buy one. I had the Commodore but I also had the KayPro II, an office computer.

I learned to use computers all by myself. Right now, I also own an IPhone, Ipad, Smart TV. I have no problems in learning how to use any of them.

Yes they were the days when you started with a Sinclair ZX, you were given programmes you had to type in, and the frustration we had when one small typo meant you had to go through it with a fine tooth comb.
I ad a Commodore 16 and 64 and the bees knees I never managed to own The BBC home computer, all good fun, I bet they would be worth a small fortune now.
Good thread.
Sorry a bit of nostalgia took over there, there are a lot of women technologically minded, it was women who were building these things then back in the 80's and earlier, she is one idiot in my opinion.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

I started using Amstrad PCW word processor with a daisy wheel printer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top