Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Black Gold?

ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Re: Black Gold?

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that governments or the Crown will have something in place similar to buried treasure: it all belongs to them no matter where it is discovered
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that governments or the Crown will have something in place similar to buried treasure: it all belongs to them no matter where it is discovered
You just can't win can you, just when you thought it might be some compensation for not landing on your head, the bloody government take it off you.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 09:47 PM

Well, you have to do what government pals do - set up a BVI company and claim that the rock was found on company property; not sure if it would work but if I found a piece, I sure as heck give it a try. Or smuggle it abroad in your suitcase and flog it on the quiet
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 04:07 AM

I totally disagree. In law, whatever is found on your own private property belongs to you, absolutely.

If your property is owned by the council or any other factor, then legally it is theirs.

Nope. If you own your house and your land, then whatever you discover on there in the law belongs to you. At least that is true over here Jem, but I don't know about Ireland.

Believe me, if I dug up a casket containing gold nuggets from Roman times in my garden, they belong to ME, as they'd have been buried on MY land, which I've bought and paid for.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Our son has a miniscule piece of meteor that he bought for his wife, last year.
I'd keep it Jimmy and not tell a soul, I'm sure you could make it into a piece of jewellery.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

08-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Our son has a miniscule piece of meteor that he bought for his wife, last year.
I'd keep it Jimmy and not tell a soul, I'm sure you could make it into a piece of jewellery.
It would indeed make nice jewellery Janela, I've seen lovely broochs and pendants made featuring, would you believe, Bog Oak, when polished the texture is beautiful.
With Meteorite rock hookery is bound to come into it, I mean how can someone prove it came from Mars or wherever unless they are prepared to seek out an 'Expert' and pay him for something he doesn't know for sure, better to stick to diamonds, there are some nice black diamonds and they are cheaper than white diamonds.

ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I totally disagree. In law, whatever is found on your own private property belongs to you, absolutely.

If your property is owned by the council or any other factor, then legally it is theirs.

Nope. If you own your house and your land, then whatever you discover on there in the law belongs to you. At least that is true over here Jem, but I don't know about Ireland.

Believe me, if I dug up a casket containing gold nuggets from Roman times in my garden, they belong to ME, as they'd have been buried on MY land, which I've bought and paid for.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
I would also keep quiet about it but it depends on if it comes under the 'treasure' bit and if they thought it was valueable enough, I don't doubt for a moment they'd find a way to get their sticky mitts on it - I was using this info as guidance (by the way - I hadn't said it was a dead cert, only that I'm certain they'd try) http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...-treasure.html If they could claim any finds were of 'historic value' and worth a lot of money, can you see them letting go of it that easily!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

08-12-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote Mollie: At least that is true over here Jem, but I don't know about Ireland.

We still have the old English laws here regards to land and property Mollie, very little has changed as far as I know, in fact up to twenty years ago we were still paying annual ground rent on this house to a British landlord, that was abolished, I think the government paid them off in the end, I'm not sure of how it was handled but we no longer have to pay it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 08:50 PM

I rather like the idea of a black diamond
My granddaughter would love it too - she wears a lot of black.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top