Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Trying to support local shops

We buy a lot on line very rarely visit a real life shop so when we do we are often amazed at how they treat people.

Been out today and thought we should try to support our local carpet shop he is competing against the big boys in town and the out of town complex so lets support the little guy in the village.

Saw what we wanted but it was 2 foot too long so asked could he possibly cut it down for us. No, no explanation or sorry just NO !

My hands are not strong enough to cut carpet, my husbands knee means he cannot get down to do it. So we left the shop and went to carpet right (big chain out of town) where the young man was more than happy to cut a bit of carpet to the size we wanted the piece of carpet was half the price of the village shop and he carried it out and put it in our car for us.

Why do local stores not realise they have to up their game to survive ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Re: Trying to support local shops

This is true !
They need to be better with customer service to survive, thats what is going to make them shine above the others ... We can only tell them this when we visit the shop, I never walk out withouit letting me feelings known, otherwise, they remain ignorant ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Don't worry I think he got the point
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 12:55 PM

This Saturday is support local business, we will see how that goes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 02:56 PM

We always support our local shops, we know them and trust them and they are all very helpful, if they were not they would not last long in the area. I have seen traders come and go but the good ones are still here and well supported by the whole community I'm happy to say. Indeed the area was featured as an example of how it can still work in a TV documentary recently, we were all proud of that. Courtesy, value, and a smile every time pays off for the local shops.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 03:04 PM

I support local shops whenever I can .
I recently wanted a sack of King Edward potatoes (56lb) from the local greengrocers.
They didn't have a sack in stock and the assistant wasn't sure how much they would cost so she took my name and address and said they would drop a sack off at my house on the following day and if I wasn't in I could pay for them next time I was in town. There was no charge for delivery, a pretty good service.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 03:19 PM

We have both good and bad local shops in our small town.
The good I choose to use, the bad I choose to ignore.
Surprising how many think that local shoppers owe them a living.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 05:10 PM

I will always buy locally if I can but, like Julie, I've had ones that seem to forget about customer service and they have ended up losing a sale. When people shop locally instead of online, it has to be about personal service and getting something that isn't available online.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 05:20 PM

We use Aldi, Asda & Sainsburys for our main food shopping but local shops for just about everything else except white goods etcetera of course where they simply cannot compete.

We've also found unfortunately that local retailers do not seem to appreciate that the loyalty we give them is in some ways dependent on the personal service they offer; no personal / customer service & that's your lot is the only way at times.

However, most of our local shops appreciate it and those that don't suffer the consequences - a carpet shop in town has shut after 35 years on our High Street but they were well known lately to be less than enthusiastic with their customer service and have now paid the price! stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2013, 05:33 PM

I'll start by disagreeing with you Steve, because on a couple of occasions I've bought white goods locally at as good a price as the best on-line deals. Even if they had cost a few pounds more, I would have bought locally for the convenience.

When I moved here I was told that I should always use local tradespeople because if they did a bad job in the morning, then everyone would know by the afternoon. The good local traders here rely on reputation and word-of-mouth recommendations. They are always busy. The bad ones don't last long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top