Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Magnetic Catches

This afternoon I have attempted the seemingly simple task of fitting a magnetic catch to one of my kitchen cupboards. All carefully (I thought) measured and the catch screwed into position - - - - it didn’t work - - - - repositioned the catch and catching plate - - - it didn’t work My back aches my usual good humour has deserted me and I’ve given up for now at least.

Why do such seemingly simple tasks turn out to be so tricky, why is there never a competent DYIer around at times like this.

I blame the Government it’s bound to be their fault.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Re: Magnetic Catches

Them bloody things drive me round the bend, I held on to a bag of them from the old cabinets when the wife was getting a new kitchen thinking they would come in handy one day, one of the catches broke off a wardrobe upstairs and out to the shed I went for the bag of tricks, they were the right type and size, but do you think I could get one to work? In the end the wife had to drag me out of the bedroom as I was only fit to be tied up. She got a 'man' in to do it next day.
Yes it's the governments fault, it's all a plot to kill off all us old lads, death by frustration.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 07:32 PM

I have fitted a few in my time and find them very good
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Good for you Meg well done. My missus is a great believer in a 'Man' for this and a man for that, she has a man for all the electrical work, plumbing, house painting etc, now she has a man for cutting the high hedge, she knows an awful lot of men, sometimes that worries me a little, she used to have a 'Mister Wonderful' this fella could do everything, a wizard at whatever he put his hands to, perfect in her eyes, but he must have done something wrong because you can't mention his name in the house anymore without her letting out a few choice words, she never told me why they fell out, not that I'm interested.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Don't you just hate smug competent bu**ers.
Just make the rest of us feel so inadequate why don't you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Good for you Meg well done. My missus is a great believer in a 'Man' for this and a man for that, she has a man for all the electrical work, plumbing, house painting etc, now she has a man for cutting the high hedge, she knows an awful lot of men, sometimes that worries me a little, she used to have a 'Mister Wonderful' this fella could do everything, a wizard at whatever he put his hands to, perfect in her eyes, but he must have done something wrong because you can't mention his name in the house anymore without her letting out a few choice words, she never told me why they fell out, not that I'm interested.
Jem because of cost I have always done most DIY things myself including fitting a Habitat kitchen and making some work surfaces and cupboard doors to match and laying a 15ft tiled floor .
I have never done plumbing and electrics though.

When I had the kitchen replaced I was shocked at the poor quality of the workmanship provided by the so called 'professionals' .Sadly I can no longer do many things myself now because my eyesight isn't too good.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
C'mon chaps, use your noddles. Just tell your wives you'll have a go at it but you think you'll probably make a b*lls up of it . That way you can be sure she'll "get a man in".
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 11:11 PM

Well, without sounding smug, I too have been successful in fitting one of those catches. *takes a bow*

I did woodwork classes for 2 years at Adult Education and recreated a white bedside table (copying one already owned) and used a magnetic catch for the door at the base. Very proud of my handiwork. Want me to come and help?

*packs up toolkit and heads for door*
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Aw Tony would you like Jazzi or me to come and fit the catch for you..
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Them bloody things drive me round the bend, I held on to a bag of them from the old cabinets when the wife was getting a new kitchen thinking they would come in handy one day, one of the catches broke off a wardrobe upstairs and out to the shed I went for the bag of tricks, they were the right type and size, but do you think I could get one to work? In the end the wife had to drag me out of the bedroom as I was only fit to be tied up. She got a 'man' in to do it next day.
Yes it's the governments fault, it's all a plot to kill off all us old lads, death by frustration.
You did fit the magnet to the door and the plate eh to the other bit I take it? It won't work otherwise .

*sniggers*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top