Join for free
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Hull Named as UK City of Culture 2017

I was born in Hull and lived there quite happily until I was 38 when I got married and started moving around the country with my husbands job.

I would never criticise any place that I have lived as they all have something to offer. But I was quite surprised when I heard this on sky news this morning.

It was not so long ago that Hull was voted one of the worst places to live.

I hope that as the news says it brings economic growth to the City that goes with receiving this accolade.

I still have friends in Hull who I see from time to time, but I must admit I have not been back in 20 years. We always meet up in York or Harrogate when we do meet up.

Maybe I ought to go back to see what the old place has to offer now and see how much it has moved on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: Hull Named as UK City of Culture 2017

It is an interesting choice and often when these things are awarded the cities see it almost as a challenge to improve so give it a few months and we may see a huge difference in Hull !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:55 AM

It's because it has a big bridge, reminiscent of San Francisco, it won't be long I hasten, till both are twinned.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:12 PM

I think it was awarded the prize because it is down trodden and needs a lift of life.
I live near Leicester and they also applied for it and very upset they didn't get it but I suppose its because they got Richard 111 instead
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 07:29 PM

I'm a bit puzzled to what it really means ,but after looking up the definition being arts and people with like minded thinking ,+customs and social behaviour of a particular people or society...
I have a cyber friend that lives in Hull and he's a play writer so perhaps I should send him congratulations.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 08:02 PM

I'm chuffed to bits that Hull won. I don't have any connection to the city but they are so cut off and the bridge tolls are steep, they definitely put people off going. Hull has a long, proud history and some wonderful cultural assets, they deserve some good luck to help them rise again.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moiramary ->
I'm chuffed to bits that Hull won. I don't have any connection to the city but they are so cut off and the bridge tolls are steep, they definitely put people off going. Hull has a long, proud history and some wonderful cultural assets, they deserve some good luck to help them rise again.
I dont think £1.50 to cross the Humber Bridge is 'steep' or off putting.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:47 PM

Personally I'd rather had Dundee won the award - but oh well.
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

21-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Hull .... city of culture ...... next up Croydon!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top