Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 09:37 AM

supermarkets self service check outs

well o.k. shopping, browsing through the shelves and choosing the one we want can be fun/interesting, but our Asda has got one further, we have half the checkouts self service as well, is it a new trend, and where will the people work who are no longer needed
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: supermarkets self service check outs

If you just want one or two items these things are fine, however try and get a monthly shop through them and you realise they cannot do it. Morrisons ones can't even cope with a weekly shop let alone a monthly one !
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 09:53 AM

I use a mo scooter and find them impossible, I can either not reach the shopping or the bag, tried Lidle (?) yesterday, took ages, they had such an interesting stock, must make the effort to go again ( it is in the wrong direction to be on the way back from anywhere)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 10:00 AM

I used the self scan once, where you scan the items as you go along then pay up at the end. I like the shopping already packed at the end, but I did worry about the cashiers ..... So, we have decided to only do the self scan near to Christmas when the checkouts will be very busy ....
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 10:30 AM

I had to use them at b&q not good to use I put a five pound note in and it kept rejecting it because it was tatty , so the assistant. Came and she had ago and still no joy .It was lucky that I had a new note in my purse when I put this in the slot it worked .
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 10:42 AM

I cant stand those machines. I have to put my glasses on for those and I find it totally inconvenient. I would rather have them scanned by a assistant and pack my own in my bags which I don't mind doing. They should be banned.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 10:45 AM

We have a mid size Asda at the top of our market and they have two long banks of these self serve check outs, but still have a lot of staff who remove the baskets, direct you to empty tills and are on stand by for rebooting the till (assistance needed!). They might as well take these out and put ordinary tills back.

I hate the constant demands of 'please remove item from bagging area', 'have you scanned your *** card?' and of course the 'assistance needed'.

But then again, when on a manned till, I hate the intrusive enquiries into my general health and what sort of day I'm having!!! 'hello, how are you today? Have a good day/evening/weekend. Do you need mobile top up at all?'

Gar!!! I'm missing my mum, I'm having a stressful time, I'm sometimes depressed, I might not have slept well the night before, and my phone is on contract, so please, enough!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
well o.k. shopping, browsing through the shelves and choosing the one we want can be fun/interesting, but our Asda has got one further, we have half the checkouts self service as well, is it a new trend, and where will the people work who are no longer needed
I always use them when they are available, usually no queuing, easy to operate, accept cash or card. Love 'em

Hopefully the people they replace will find more interesting and productive work.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Problem here Bruce is that for every job there are probably 100 or more chasing it. From 1st January we will have stiffer competition when the doors are flung open to the rest of Romania and Bulgaria, most of whom are feared to come here looking for a better way of life. Mind you, pickpockets and beggars need not apply: we don't have anything left to give you!

We have too many organisations and shipyards etc closing down. Factories and shops closing. Where are these people supposed to work? The university graduates? The school leavers? Somebody wanting to return to the workplace after an absence, family raising perhaps? People told to stop claiming benefits and instructed to return to work. Where are they supposed to go?

Half of Eastern Europe has come to this country since 2004 and it is nigh on impossible to find employment, or at least something that pays a decent wage. God knows I've been searching for long enough. I don't even get my CV acknowledged in some cases. I put one in to my local Sainsbury's superstore a few weeks ago in response to an advert in store for staff to work on the online groceries. (Didn't specify what doing.)

Did I get an answer from them? No. Yet yesterday when I visited ex colleagues, when they asked why I wasn't still working, they all said, 'but you're a good worker!' See, I was appreciated back then. It's trying to convince potential new employers.

Don't like what's happening, I really don't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 11:18 AM

We have had some self service tills here for ages and I have used then a couple of times but usually manage to do something wrong and have to wait for an assistant to come to my aid. One time it kept telling me to remove my bag but I hadn't put one on there .

They are ok for a couple of items but not for a 'big shop'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top