Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 01:31 AM

I am not being disrespectful ...

Monday another Remembrance Day !!!!

Can someone tell me who really won the war ...
or any war that is ???? ...

Why there is so much pain ...and no answer

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 03:10 AM

Re: I am not being disrespectful ...

Well Sugar, with the greatest respect, Memorial Day has nothing to do with World War II, but World War I, which was the 1914 - 1918 war, not the war against Germany or Hitler during which America became involved; but it now encompasses all wars and the sad loss of armed forces all around the world.

I can only suggest you read up on World War I to understand why we commemorate the bravery of the British, Russian and other factions who were involved and how it occurred. Here you are:

http://www.history.co.uk/this-day-in...ry/November-11

We have what are called Chelsea Pensioners, and I believe there are but a handful left, but these old soldiers who are now in their 80s/90s were there in the trenches. It has been called the war to end all wars, so please read about it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 03:55 AM

Feel free to call me disrespectful, but I don't really understand fully what all these remembrance days are about. To me it seems they are more for the living than they are for the dead.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 04:06 AM

I am honour to say ..my grandfather was one of those few Canadian
that came back from The Battle of Vimy Ridge.. I could have sworn it was world war one .. because my father fought in world war two ...
I would assume at least one day of the year .. it nice to remember all those men who died or are suffering in either the past, present, and future ..
They are giving up so much .. so so sad ..
Why does it have to be ? ...
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 04:16 AM

I do remember my uncle, who went missing in action in Russia, more than once every year but not necessarily on the same day or days. He tends to pop up in my mind randomly. By the way, I was born after the war and therefore have never met that uncle in person.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Feel free to call me disrespectful, but I don't really understand fully what all these remembrance days are about. To me it seems they are more for the living than they are for the dead.
That's certainly NOT how I see it Mr P. It's to remember the sacrifice of those who died. It's patently obvious that everyone loses in a war but, if someone attacks you, are you expected to sit back and let them overrun you?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox

10-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
if someone attacks you, are you expected to sit back and let them overrun you?
Of course not. We all have the right to defend ourselves. Why did you come up with that question?
I am just wondering what is achieved with the ceremonies on remembrance day? The dead won't be able to appreciate it, that's why I think the whole show is created only for the living.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 07:37 AM

Hi Mr P , the line you quote from my post was to show that wars happen when one country threatens another. With regard to your comment, you are quite right, the dead can't appreciate a memorial service but it is important that the living remind themselves what sacrifices were made to attain peace.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 07:51 AM

Rememberance day is 'very' important - are we supposed to just forget
I stand in my kitchen or wherever and am silent at 11 Oclock, its called respect for those that gave their lives for us.
Its fantastic that they are remembered and may it always be so. It also shows the lads that fight today - that we are with them too.
War is not celebrated at all
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 08:58 AM

"
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam "

Laurence Binyon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top