Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:32 PM

When Is A Footpath Not A Footpath?

Answer: when it's a service margin. Not laughing? Neither are the residents of Oxley Park in Milton Keynes.

Local officials won't admit that they bungled somewhat but prefer to go down the route of it wasn't intended to be a footpath

You gotta love them haven't you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-24863368
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Re: When Is A Footpath Not A Footpath?

How bloody typical!

I bet a few people have cracked their head on that coming home from the pub at night.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Surely, when someone was sinking the hole for the pole or even putting the pole and the electrics in, they thought: hang on a minute ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 02:51 PM

It really does beggar belief don't it.
They must all be as useless as each other, right from the planning lot to the workmen involved.
Come to think of it, you'd think the person who's window it is right outside, might have made a few phone calls sharpish too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 03:23 PM

I can't put the pictures on here as they are in an album but when we lived in a house with an open plan garden, we came home one day to find a tarmac footpath about 3 foot wide had been made cutting out garden off from our house ! Council made a mistake that day too but when we went back there a few months ago it's still there nearly 30 years later !!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Answer: when it's a service margin. Not laughing? Neither are the residents of Oxley Park in Milton Keynes.

Local officials won't admit that they bungled somewhat but prefer to go down the route of it wasn't intended to be a footpath

You gotta love them haven't you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-24863368

All it needs is a disabled person in a wheelchair or electric scooter to complain to the Council under the Disability Discrimination Act that the pole is blocking their right of way and the Council will be forced to move it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 09:11 PM

The council is always right, their decision is final, if they say it's not a footpath then even it looks like one and is used like one it's still not a footpath and thats that, if you want to argue you are only wasting your energy, if you say the pole is hampering wheelchairs they will consult among themselves for a couple of months then come back and tell you it is not a pole, it's a cable stabliser for the electricity supply, so go tell it to the electricity board, and away you go in ever increasing circles, at least that's the way it works over here.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
and tell you it is not a pole, it's a cable stabliser for the electricity supply,
That did make me laugh - probably because I can hear them saying it!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Well - at least it keeps the cyclists off the footpath !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The council is always right, their decision is final, if they say it's not a footpath then even it looks like one and is used like one it's still not a footpath and thats that, if you want to argue you are only wasting your energy, if you say the pole is hampering wheelchairs they will consult among themselves for a couple of months then come back and tell you it is not a pole, it's a cable stabliser for the electricity supply, so go tell it to the electricity board, and away you go in ever increasing circles, at least that's the way it works over here.

Jim matey, - a little (true) story. Some years ago Sainsburys built a new store here in Brighton. At the exit, there were two steps down to the pavement. Many people, particularly those with prams or shopping trolleys struggled to cope with these steps. I too struggled as I don't do steps very well at all. As is my wont, I complained to Sainsburys Head Office. They ignored my complaint. I sued Sainsburys in the Courts and cited the Council as co-defendant (as the Council had approved the plans). Turns out, that whilst the Council had a Disability Rights Officer, the incumbent in that post had no knowledge of or experience in disability or disabled rights whatsoever. I won my case, it cost Sainsburys £60,000 in legal costs to defend against my suit plus another £250,000 to build a proper disabled ramp!!! - I DO NOTSUFFER FOOLS GLADLY!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top