Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Tips for a newbie tiler?

Ok, all, I'm about to do my first bit of tiling - splashbacks in the kitchen. Any tips on what I should/shouldn't do to get a good result? I'm ready with my tiles, cutters, spacers, cement, trowel and grout...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Re: Tips for a newbie tiler?

I've never tried tiling Ania but thought these videos may help you .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKpaCbVjDBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfnvVr4cXbQ
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 04:30 AM

Orangutan,
Tiling is so easy. Just make sure you put spacers flat side down on the bench to give you a space under the tiles to fill in.

Around the wet areas (behind sink) I use a silicone based sealer, bought in tubes and squeezed into the groove. This prevents any water getting in and can be replaced as it gets older.

I also use a straight ruler on each row, holding the ruler to just make sure the tiles are sitting out at the same level. I do that across each tile and down the tiles. It's easy then to see which tiles you either need to bring out a little bit or push a bit further in thereby having everything straight. If it's not in line then you will see a gap under the ruler thereby knowing which tile you have to alter. A Long ruler or just a straight piece of wood will do.

Otherwise good luck. It's very rewarding when you have done your first lot of tiling. I started off with a small area like you and have since done my bathroom and laundry floor to ceiling in every house i have been in.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Do not use the combined 'stick and grout' stuff. It is horrid. Use a separate tile cement and grouting medium - gives a more professional finish.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top