Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Bedtime Stories.

When you come to think of it some of those so called 'Bedtime stories' were really terrifying, witches eating little boys and girls (Hansel and Gretal), wolves eating grandmas, a musician kidnapping hundreds of kids (Pied Piper), Princes being turned into frogs, what a novel way to get rid of the royal family Uncle Joe, and don't forget the scandal of a girl living in a cottage with seven little men. Still it didn't do anyone any harm, then good old Walt Disney got hold of the stories and turned all the monsters into adorable cartoon characters. I wonder will I be allowed tell my new grandson the one about the three little pigs, I suppose if I eliminate Pig A and Pig B, then turn the wolf into a panda I might just get away with it but it would ruin the whole story.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:15 PM

Re: Bedtime Stories.

My sisters used to read to me and I think it was lovely to be terrified while at the same time cuddled up safe and secure in bed.

I will be giving my grandchildren the unedited undisneyfied versions of fairy tales
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;

I will be giving my grandchildren the unedited undisneyfied versions of fairy tales

And good luck to you Meg, thats what I read to my other two grandsons and they are as right as rain, but with the new little fella I'm under strict orders of what to tell him when he's old enough to listen.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:45 PM

My Dad used to make up his own stories for me about a little girl called Blink and a boy called Bloop, they were very good!
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 08:12 AM

I brought a new version of the faraway tree for a friends child a few years back its not a bit like the old version they even changed the two childrens names because they were called Dick and Fanny ... do boys called Richard not get called dick any more ? Its perfectic .... Dont you think kids hear much worse in the playground ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 10:26 AM

We don't buy many new books all the kids books are kept from one generation to the next here, so they get the unedited versions. Only real problem we have ever encountered with books and bedtime stories was it was hard to find books with black children in them when the boys were small, easier now I often see books they would have enjoyed, so things are improving but I felt sorry for them when every hero was white and no black characters were present.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 10:34 AM

My children were read, and later read for themselves, the whole range of Ladybird books, Hans Christian Anderson, the lot. They loved them. My granddaughters also had those read to them but they often preferred more modern stories.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We don't buy many new books all the kids books are kept from one generation to the next here, so they get the unedited versions. Only real problem we have ever encountered with books and bedtime stories was it was hard to find books with black children in them when the boys were small, easier now I often see books they would have enjoyed, so things are improving but I felt sorry for them when every hero was white and no black characters were present.
How true is that ! Never gave this a thought - not bloomin right, when you 'think' about it !
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 04:15 PM

and little children being allowed to wander in a big dark wood....where they could run into wolves...all by themselves....never mind ...there was always a wood cutter about too...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top