Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:04 AM

Is this what is known as positive discrimination?

Does anyone else watch the BBC programme 'Citizen Khan'? It does for the Pakistani Muslim what 'Goodness Gracious' did for the Indian Hindu. And believe me, for those who have not seen it, some of the running gags are so very true to the culture, yet at the same time so near to the bone that were it not written by a young Pakistani man there would probably be ructions.

Having lived in Wolverhampton and spent time in Birmingham I 'know' this man, even his suit and cardigan are so distinctive.

Shall we just say that the writer, one Adil Ray, pokes very gentle but specific fun at certain 'types', of his community, and the result is extremely funny. Although I suppose 'tis only so to those who recognise the characters.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Re: Is this what is known as positive discrimination?

I haven't seen it but the creator did an interview on a show I watch and I was quite impressed with him, I don't see it as positive discrimination he is just as other writers do writing about his life and how he sees it. We wouldn't see a programme full of White English people as discrimination so I don't see how this can be described that way either. Whether it is a good TV show is all that matters really.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 07:53 AM

One thing I have noticed about these 'minority-centred comedies' is that they are always acted by the same ethnic people who they are having a laugh with.

Point being, that if a white person were to dress up, write or star in a comedy/play about an ethnic minority - especially if it played on perceived stereotypes, that would be immediately banned as racism/hate crime and possibly involve the police. But when it goes the other way, that is somehow perfectly acceptable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 07:59 AM

To be fair do we see black people playing white people ? I would think there are enough people of all colours and creeds, all disabilities and abilities to allow those casting to chose the right person for the programme.

I wouldn't feel too comfortable knowing eg a tall person was playing a height challenged person, there are enough small people to play the part desperately looking for work. Same applies across the board I think.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Cant stand it when they dont use the correct person for a role .... Stupid ......I digress - I think, I'm dizzy .....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Is that a new word for somethingPats or are you dizzy? If so get off the pc and sit down and rest. Annie.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:59 PM

I have done that thanks Annie - it applies to both aspects for me .... Being prone to dizzy spells - I cant think straight either !
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
One thing I have noticed about these 'minority-centred comedies' is that they are always acted by the same ethnic people who they are having a laugh with.

Point being, that if a white person were to dress up, write or star in a comedy/play about an ethnic minority - especially if it played on perceived stereotypes, that would be immediately banned as racism/hate crime and possibly involve the police. But when it goes the other way, that is somehow perfectly acceptable.
Which more or less makes the point I made about 'positive discrimination', in that it seems to be fine for a minority group to make fun of, or depict stereotypical behaviour of their own, but for anyone else to do it then this is immediately frowned upon. (Btw pity there is not a 'tongue in cheek' pictogram).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2013, 01:05 AM

But isn't that the same with anything eg I laugh at myself often when my MS is causing me to twitch and chuck my drink down myself or trying to boil and egg I throw it around the kitchen rather than place it gently in the water, or if I fall over in some embarrassing way. My husband will laugh with, in fact anyone who knows me well will join in but don't anyone else try it, laughing at me is not tolerated at all.

We all laugh at ourselves but no one likes to see anyone else laughing at us. So these minority groups can laugh at themselves but it would be very different if anyone else made the jokes and laughed at them.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 05:51 PM

While I loved GGM, I could never get into CK. I just find it cringingly unfunny, but that's just me. Oh but my little sis agrees.

GGM had 4 very funny individuals and as I worked with Indians at the time could see the humour. It was also very clever, especially the songs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top