Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 10:56 PM

What I do and don't watch on telly...my likes and dislikes

My sister and I were saying only this morning that they don't make tv shows like they used to. (She had ITV on with Cilla Black guesting - don't know what prompted her to say that on seeing her, but I get her point!)

I still, if there's nothing else on, watch things like As Time Goes By, Ever Decreasing Circles, Fools & Horses, Father Ted (but think I've seen them all many times over), afore mentioned Born & Bred, Last of Summer Wine, Vicar of Dibley. If pushed, I might watch Jonathan Creek or Murder She Wrote (if only to laugh at it), Keeping up Appearances, Gimme Gimme Gimme. Though I didn't like Little Britain I loved Come Fly With Me.

For current offerings, I can't get on with shows like Citizen Khan (just unfunny), or Rev (even unfunnier). Don't watch Celeb Lemon Juice, AC Chatty Man, Never Mind Buzzcocks, (you can tell I'm going through the tv guide, can't you? ), Jools Holland thingy, 8-10 Cats, Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross, Deal no Deal, Question of Sport, Harry Hill's TV Burp (talk about doing something to death), QI.

I don't watch X Factor, Britains Got Talent, Strictly Come Skating in Big Brother, Great British Bake Off, The Voice, Come Dine with Me. Tried a few series of TOWIE but couldn't take any more.

I do like Mock The Week, Have I Got News for You, Would I Lie To You, Room 101, The Chase, Pointless, Perfection.

The Paradise is coming back next week. Liked that one.

Soaps I watch are Doctors, Corrie, Emmerdale, Holby and Casualty. Dabbled in and out of Home & Away, but not Neighbours or Stenders.

I love the Simpsons, Doc Martin, anything with Martin Shaw in (mostly), anything presented by vet Mark Evans (he of Inside Natures Giants etc), Top Gear, consumer advice programmes or anything helping the viewer not get ripped off, or just people helping others - like Fake Britain, Cowboy Builders, Helicopter Heroes, Watchdog, DIY SOS, Rogue Traders. UK Border Force, Nothing To Declare, fly on the wall docu series like those in hospitals, Road Wars and Police Interceptors, Hotel Inspector (wish I could to people like Alex P does), Not Going Out, Outnumbered.

Old series not on any more: I liked Waking The Dead, Lewis, afterlife, Silent Witness (not those with Amanda Burton), Sea of Souls.

Phew. This post started out as a continuation on my BOAF thread but suddenly I realised I was adding more and more and more and that it deserved a thread of its own. OK, disagree if you must.

Do you have your favourites? Are there any you can't stand to watch?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Re: What I do and don't watch on telly...my likes and dislikes

We like sci fi like stargate atlantis which is being repeated at the moment, box set of Babylon 5 dvds is often out for the weekend watching too.

Emmerdale and Corrie are my soaps

Four in a bed gives us a laugh but not sure it is actually supposed to be a comedy LOL

Who dunnits like Poirot, Miss Marple etc

Just finished watching the Bletchley Circle which was fabulous

The mentalist, Gardeners World, Alan Carr, Casualty, Johnathon Ross (if he has good guests), country file, Downton Abbey (favourite at the moment), Under the dome is good too.

Cannot miss an episode of the great british bake off although they are saying it is moving to BBC1 next year so I fear it will become less baking and more strictly untalented

Same worries about the fantastic Mrs Browns boys being made into a film - the audience interaction is so much part of it.

So plenty to keep our late nights and weekends entertained.

Oh and I am a big brother fan when it's on.

Things I don't like, well I don't watch them so nothing to really report LOL
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 09:57 AM

I don't watch anything to do with Hospitals, politics, war, cooking, soaps, and cars, most of the rest is OK with me, love Doc Martin, Stephen Fry, Midsomer Murders, mysteries, documentaries, nature, space, science, history, and a few more, but you can tell by the rubbish they put out they are running out of idea's fast, did you ever see anything so stupid as a couple going into a box on the TV set, having sex then coming out to talk about it around a table with an 'Expert', who in their right mind would want to watch that?, if that aint scrapping the barrel I don't know what is. I just accept it now that TV as we knew it is on the way out and I can now watch all the old stuff on Youtube connected to the big screen, minus the ads.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 11:26 AM

I like the series that are set in the past, Heartbeat, The Royal, Foyle's War, Sharpe, Hornblower, Born & Bred etc.
Comedies: Blackadder, anything with David Jason and/or Ronnie Barker, Keeping Up Appearances, Doc Martin, Everybody Loves (my fav).
HIGNFY, Qi, Oddities, Diggers.
Only watch Emmerdale soap.
Like documentaries, nature programs, science & history.Craft & Art progs, gardening.
Dislike reality shows, celeb chat shows, sport of all kinds, cookery, property.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 11:40 AM

I don't watch an awful lot of telly because most of it is terrible but, there are a few things I really like:

Coronation Street (I won't miss that for anything)
HIGNFY
Question Time
The Big Questions (when it's on)
Mock the Week
Big Brother (especially the Australian version)
Miss Marple (as long as it isn't Joan Hickson)
Would I Lie To You
Room 101
By Any Means (it reminds me of Leverage and I loved that)

I detest all cooking programmes and most other reality stuff (have never watched Towie or Geordie Shore), can't stand Top Gear or any singing competition type programme. I don't enjoy Britain's Got Talent (because it generally shows we haven't).

Like others have said, I tend to watch a lot of old stuff on youtube now or I'll buy films to watch (I love films - especially sci fi ones or murder/mystery).
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Yes, I forgot the good ones like Midsomer Murders. Sometimes watch The Royal. Oh, and I love Luther too.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 03:29 PM

OOOOOOO! Forgot Poirot and Miss Marple (only Joan Hickson sorry!) Also Daily Politics, Andrew Marr and any sort of debate!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

16-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Now I don't like Poirot, yet sister loves him. Not a fan of Marple either. Sometimes had A Marr on, for background.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top