Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 04:14 PM

The Queen

Did anyone watch the first episode (4 more, 1 each night from tonight) last night?
I quite enjoyed it and it helped a little flesh out my very hazy memories/folk memories of the Margaret issue. I wonder if she really, really, loved Townsend - or did she love being a princess more? She seemed to become a very self-centred woman but a terribly sad one at the end.
Tonight is the 70s, so I hope I can remember that a bit better. The Monarchy under fire, apparently but I can't remember why? It was before Chas & Di even married, so it wasn't their divorce
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Re: The Queen

I can remember gossip about Margaret from the 50s. This seemed to sanitise her, I think.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 05:34 PM

I may just watch this DM, . . I love scandal, . . adultery, and watching comedians.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 06:36 PM

I remember the 70s very well, we had the miner's strikes, power cuts and 3 day weeks to contend with. My twins were born in '73 when the couple of hours of night and day power cuts were introduced. We had to resort to oil lamps for lighting and primus stoves for boiling water etc. Like everyone else, we just got on with it.

However during this time the Royals became unpopular as they were asking for more cash for the Civil List while the rest of the country were struggling to make ends meet.

It was during this time that the support for the Royals was at its lowest and there was the danger of the Monarchy coming to an end.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I remember the 70s very well, we had the miner's strikes, power cuts and 3 day weeks to contend with. My twins were born in '73 when the couple of hours of night and day power cuts were introduced. We had to resort to oil lamps for lighting and primus stoves for boiling water etc. Like everyone else, we just got on with it.

However during this time the Royals became unpopular as they were asking for more cash for the Civil List while the rest of the country were struggling to make ends meet.

It was during this time that the support for the Royals was at its lowest and there was the danger of the Monarchy coming to an end.
At the end of WW2 Mags, the Royals were as poor as church mice, . . . then along came a financial adviser and now our queen is the richest lady on the planet, . . I've sent her repeated E-Mails asking for his phone number but she won't reply.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody was one of my all time favourites.
nero
Central Scotland

30-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
very subtle VM.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I enjoyed it too!
nero
Central Scotland

30-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Had a look at the program and it's a drama, . . I thought it was a documentary.
dinahsmum
SW England

03-12-2009, 08:34 PM

There's quite a bit of newsreel in it, as well as the drama
Last episode tonight - I've enjoyed them. I like the inference that HRH couldn't stand Heath and Thatcher and tolerated Major because she felt sorry for him
She's had an interesting life but I wouldn't swap for anything

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top