Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Strictly come clapping

I watch "Strictly", but I don't listen to it.
It's not just the waffle or Bruce's awful 'jokes' which he has to explain to himself - it's the need for the audience to clap

There's great music and singing, but why bother? Just get a metronome and ask the audience to clap. I often wonder if it puts some contestants off, or is it just a trick of the acoustics - or even deliberately exagerated on the broadcast.

So, I just use the 'mute' button as soon as Bruce talks, or the clapping starts. Some dances are OK - a waltz is usually clap free.

My daughter does one better - she watches it next day on iPlayer so she can fast forward through the bad jokes and the trivia.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Re: Strictly come clapping

I can see why you chose your avatar name George .....
If I were in the audience I wouldn't want to sit there as stiff as a board, people get involved in the show and its great ....
Unlike the X Factor, which drowns in smugness and OTT audiences ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Watched this show for the first time last night (waiting for something better to come along LOL) and have to say I enjoyed it, the clapping along enhanced it if anything. Loved the community feel to it with everyone enjoying themselves. So much so might watch it again next week !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Pats, this is the 'grumpy corner', so I'm allowed - maybe even expected - to be grumpy here.... AND... Grumblewagon is the name of my motorhome.

I enjoy the dancing, I enjoy hearing the judges' comments (esp. Craig) and I'd like to be able to enjoy the music, but I can definitely do without Bruce's terrible jokes - so thank goodness for the 'mute' button.

Oh, and I've never watched X Factor, Britains got talent etc...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I enjoy the dancing, I enjoy hearing the judges' comments (esp. Craig) and I'd like to be able to enjoy the music, but I can definitely do without Bruce's terrible jokes - so thank goodness for the 'mute' button.

Oh, and I've never watched X Factor, Britains got talent etc...
I agree completely George I find it cringe making when people laugh/clap/smile politely at BFs inane jokes. I have never liked him anyway and it is time he was put out to grass in favour of a more worthy commentator.

I also like Craig's critique, he does what he is supposed to do comment in a knowledgeable way about the quality of the dancing. If I was a contestant I would value his comments the most, I wouldn't want people just making polite comments for the sake of it.

I record the programme these days so I can watch the dancing without suffering the trivia
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
If I were in the audience I wouldn't want to sit there as stiff as a board.....
I agree...
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't watch Strictly if you put a gun to my head - it's all just pretentious rubbish in my opinion. Then again, I never did like dancing full stop.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Just seemed like a bit of fun to me, even my husband who was in a curmudgeonly mood last night was tapping his feet in time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I wouldn't watch Strictly if you put a gun to my head - it's all just pretentious rubbish in my opinion. Then again, I never did like dancing full stop.
Have you watched it Jim - not like Zzz Factor at all !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top