Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bethany
New Member!
Cardiff
Bethany is female 

10-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Student in need of help

Hi, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I am a university student currently in my third year studying fashion promotion. I am undergoing an entrepreneurship module for the next 6 weeks, and I was hoping you would be able to assist me with my research?

I am thinking of proposing a clothing store specifically for the over 60’s, it will stock fashionable clothing catered to your style. What stores do you shop in at the moment? And do you feel they meet your needs?

This store will also have good wheelchair access, a large seated area, easy accessible clothing tags, and large fitting rooms. Is this something that you would look for in a clothing store?

This new store will be in local high streets and will also hold a few social events in a large seated area within the store. Events will be things such as coffee mornings, book clubs, lunch and once the store has funding we would be able to put on transport to dancing classes or gardening club. Would this be of interest to you?

Thank you very much for your time,
Bethany
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Re: Student in need of help

Hello Bethany ,
This store will also have good wheelchair access, a large seated area, easy accessible clothing tags, and large fitting rooms. Is this something that you would look for in a clothing store?
...no good for this over 60, I avoid shopping for clothes and in towns like the plague.

By the time I have had the nerve wracking experience of driving to town (no buses here) and paying for petrol and parking I might as well shop online and pay the postage cost.
Not that I buy many 'new' new clothes, most of my wardrobe comes courtesy of Ebay . Since I retired I have to watch every penny.

This new store will be in local high streets and will also hold a few social events in a large seated area within the store. Events will be things such as coffee mornings, book clubs, lunch and once the store has funding we would be able to put on transport to dancing classes or gardening club. Would this be of interest to you?
Like many people my age I live alone and am not the least bit lonely preferring solitude to company. Going to coffee mornings etc and having to make small talk with people in whom I have not the slightest interest is not for me .

ETA how about an online store for the over 60's with a free courier delivery and collection service also selling nearly new items.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Bethany - it sounds a great idea .....
I have difficulty finding the right clothes, especially skirts and dresses.
Dresses, usually have waists, elasticated or otherwise, unless your tummy is absolutely flat, a waist will emphasise it.
Skirts are usually too short or pencil style or, covered in a jazzy design or floaty ......
I want the clothes I used to wear, only to the knee this time
BTW - I usually shop at Matalan - a good choice, although lately, they are more inclined towards 'teen' fashion....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Not for me I doubt the styles would be my cup of tea, prefer to make my own or buy second hand (vintage) and shopping on line has opened a world of opportunities for those of us who hate shopping in stores.

I don't really see a need for shops at all these days for people like me.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:12 PM

I'm afraid Bethany, that I do most of my shopping online too.

Bluewater and Lakeside are probably the best places for shopping in my area - all under cover and wheelchair friendly.
Coffee mornings and book clubs etc., not for me either - I'm a bit of a hermit..and very unsociable.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

I think it sounds a great idea and I'm sure many people would love the social aspect of your proposal and, of course, help with transport.

I do agree with Pats that the supply of fashionable clothing for women over 50 is a bit woeful - it tends to be standard fashion but bigger which doesn't always suit the 'more rounded' figure - not enough dresses that gather under the bust as opposed to the waist and not enough three-quarter sleeves.

I wish your entrepreneurship module well and it's nice to know some fashion designers are thinking of us in ways other than fuddy duddy!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:32 PM

In one way, this sounds fine. We have difficulty in finding suitable clothes these days and so do most of our shopping in Europe in stores like C&A (used to be in the UK), Karstadt, Kaufhof, Vroom & Dreesman etc...

However... You sound as if you were putting us over 60's in the 'old crumbly' category. We don't all need help to get out of our chairs or sit down to 'a nice cup of tea'. Remember, the over 60's probably have to greatest spending power and are enjoying good health for longer.

So, bright fashionable quality clothes, sales staff who know what they're talking about and a restaurant that sells a range of light lunches for those who don't want a full meal at lunchtime.

As for your "extra-curricular" ideas.. many of these are catered for by local clubs and organisations. They utilise church halls, community schools etc.. to hold meetings. I don't think a store is the ideal place for these, but you might suggest the odd 'fashion parade' to advertise the season's stock.

Good idea Bethany, but I think that you may be underestimating the over 60's !
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:32 PM

It would siut me....there's only one shop i buy from in the high street....bonmarche....all the other shops cater for the young ones...the ones with money to spend....and as shopping is a chore now...it would be nice to have somewhere to sit for a rest....i think it's a good idea...and good luck with it
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Bethany - our George (Grumblewagon) makes a good point, 60 these days is really 40 !
We want to look good, not frumpy. For the summer nice cotton dresses with a bit of sleeve, no waistband !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 02:23 PM

When I'm not in me bustle & corset, I get most of my clothes from charity shops or eBay. I do like M&co when there's a sale on, Cotton Traders or Bon Marche if I have a bit of money to treat myself! Comfy is the most important style, fleece and stretch! All the tops have to cover my bum! Seats are definitely important otherwise I have to abandon my shopping expedition and go back home! Another important thing is shopping carts, can't carry much! I wouldn't like the "club" bit you described as I would rather go home than socialize, but some would like it. Perhaps help to take shopping to car would be an idea, may encourage folk to buy more! Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top