Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Tories Running Scared?

Tough new curbs on the appeal rights of illegal immigrants and foreign prisoners facing deportation are being introduced as part of an overhaul of the UK's immigration laws.

The Immigration Bill will see the grounds on which foreign nationals can lodge an appeal against deportation slashed from the current 17 to just four.

It is in part a response to the frustration successive home secretaries faced in their repeated attempts to deport the radical cleric Abu Qatada - he managed to use human rights legislation to outwit government lawyers over 12 years.

Richard, 22, fought and won his battle to stay in the UK, using Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights - the right to a private or family life - to convince judges to overturn his deportation order.

The Zimbabwean national has lived in Clapham, south London, since he was 10 years old.

He was sentenced to two years in prison for burglary and issued with a deportation order.

"All my friends and my extended family were in the United Kingdom so me going back to Zimbabwe would have impacted on me," he said.

He has now been granted interim leave to remain in the UK until 2016, when his case will be reviewed again.

He said: "In detention centres I saw the reaction of people given automatic deportations.

"They don't know what to do and a lot of them have tried to end their own lives.

"It impacts on their mental health. It just breaks up families and it's just not right at all."

The Immigration Bill, the centrepiece of the coalition's legislative programme this year, will also see moves to block illegal immigrants from opening bank accounts in the UK.

Has this taken centre stage due to UKIPs dramatic rise in popularity?

Are the banks, landlords and employers overreacting about being asked, by government, to carry out checks on new customers and prospective employees (they claim that they are being asked to do the job of the Border Agency)?

BIB: why was that taken into account after he had committed crimes in Britain? Doesn't the impact of his actions on his victims carry more weight?

(Article in full: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/immigration...4.html#EwrfCeW )
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Re: Tories Running Scared?

Well I am afraid to say I think he should have thought about all that before committing criminal acts.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Yet another example of what Theresa May herself described as being "The Nasty Party".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:24 PM

So you would like to live next door to this man UJ ? let him rob you because his right to stay is more important than your right to live in peace ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Tough new curbs on the appeal rights of illegal immigrants and foreign prisoners facing deportation are being introduced as part of an overhaul of the UK's immigration laws.
According to an item on the radio yesterday there have been few if any checks to prevent deportees from returning to the country so there is little point in having 'tough new curbs' unless all points of entry to the country are policed.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:50 PM

If they commit crimes - they should be deported. Again -'about time' we had some action .....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Julie, notwithstanding this man has, apparently got Zimbabwean nationality, since he has been living in the UK since the age of 10, he is, to all intents and purposes, has the right to claim British citizenship. As a consequence, it matters not what nationality he has, if he does live next door to me and attempts to burgle my property, I have the sterling answer to it in that, as I reported on another thread, I have a Slovakian 'Alpen stock' which has a 2" steel spike at one end and a solid brass handle which can act as an ice axe at t'other end. Anyone, irrespective of their nationality who attempts entry to my property without invitation, is likely to get their fingers broken or walk with a severe limp having had my 'alpen stock' inserted into an uncomfortable orifice, the law having been changed to allow me the use of reasonable force in my own property.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Well I suggest when you bite the hand that feeds you then you have to take the consequences, and losing the right to be here is a consequence most people would think it right.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
According to an item on the radio yesterday there have been few if any checks to prevent deportees from returning to the country so there is little point in having 'tough new curbs' unless all points of entry to the country are policed.
This is what made me wonder if they are more worried about UKIP than they are letting on - they do seem to be projecting an image of doing all the things UKIP have said they will address - will it just be a case of more empty words though ...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

10-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
This is what made me wonder if they are more worried about UKIP than they are letting on - they do seem to be projecting an image of doing all the things UKIP have said they will address - will it just be a case of more empty words though ...

Karen darlin' - anyone can fly into Dublin, take a bus or train up to Belfast and buy a 'plane ticket into any UK (mainland) airport. Because they are classed as 'domestic' flights they are not checked at all - I've frequently flown into Gatwick from Belfast and there have been no imigration or Passport checks at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top