Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Unusual Meals.

While in the Yorkshire Dales we went for an evening meal to a lovely hotel called the Fountaine Hotel in Linton near Grassington. On the menu was a "fish plank" which sounded quite nice so we ordered it, along with a dish of chunky chips, to share between us. It came on a piece of board about 18ins by 6ins on which was 6 different types of fish, a mixed salad, some coleslaw, 2 slices of bread and some butter. The fish was small pieces of :- smoked salmon, smoked trout, smoked mackerel, goujons of cod, boiled salmon and prawns in sauce. It was delicious and quite enough for two people. What unusual meals have you had ?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Re: Unusual Meals.

we were served a chicken and noodle soup in a chinese restrant in a bowl the shape of a chicken you took off the head to eat the soup ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Rabbit boerwors & buffalo stew, but that wasn't in this country, both nice though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Rabbit boerwors & buffalo stew, but that wasn't in this country, both nice though.

Oh Wow Twiz darlin' - that sounds very interesting - got a recipe for it???
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 08:56 PM

I probably did Joe but that was in the 80's. Buffalo meat is very tasty, don't like eating rabbits though!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I probably did Joe but that was in the 80's. Buffalo meat is very tasty, don't like eating rabbits though!

Love both (Buffalo & Rabbit). I presume though, since you were in S.Africa it was Water Buffalo and not Bison.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
What unusual meals have you had ?
I have inadvertently eaten shark and that's about the closest to unusual as I'm prepared to go!

I have seen, in a favourite restaurant in the Chinese Quarter in Birmingham: braised fish lip (I've never really thought about whether fish have lips or not but they wouldn't be very big would they, what an odd thing to cook) and they also served braised duck web - ugh.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
While in the Yorkshire Dales we went for an evening meal to a lovely hotel called the Fountaine Hotel in Linton near Grassington. On the menu was a "fish plank" which sounded quite nice so we ordered it, along with a dish of chunky chips, to share between us. It came on a piece of board about 18ins by 6ins on which was 6 different types of fish, a mixed salad, some coleslaw, 2 slices of bread and some butter. The fish was small pieces of :- smoked salmon, smoked trout, smoked mackerel, goujons of cod, boiled salmon and prawns in sauce. It was delicious and quite enough for two people. What unusual meals have you had ?
Been there, had that meal - I agree with you - Delicious !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Have had water buffalo meat in India, and goat in Bradford!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Unfortunately I have eaten Cat. Didn't know I was eating poor, lovely cats. I went to Bradford for a curry many decades ago when everyone was just discovering Curry was great. Seems at that time a lot of Cats were going missing off the streets and the Police found out that a lot of the restaurants were having "Chicken" curries with Cats in them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top