Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Decaf
Kent
Decaf is female  Decaf has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:39 PM

It's all new for me!!

For the first time since being widowed I decided to give up Facebook and join this forum...and at the same time joined the local over 50's club in the village! Well, tonight is quiz night in the village and I signed up!! But, I'm really shy, and can therefore seem a bit aloof, so has anyone else faced these first time nerves? And if so, how did you overcome them?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Re: It's all new for me!!

Im sure when you get there Den, a friendly face will make you feel at ease... Thats the way I've found those ocassions to be ...
I love a quiz and you will be part of a small team so, should be fine. If not, leave it next time !
Let us know how you get on tonight - I bet, you will enjoy the night
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:53 PM

As soon as you walk in smile and say to people ' It's the first time I've been to a quiz night and I'm a little bit nervous' Immediately the ice is broken and people will reassure you.

I find that if you are interested in other people and don't talk about yourself too much then people warm to you. Listen to what people are saying and ask questions. Whatever you do don't take things too seriously and if you get something wrong be willing to laugh about it.

Have a lovely evening and let us know how you get on.
Decaf
Kent
Decaf is female  Decaf has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for that, I don't know anyone there yet, so I am a bit apprehensive also it's a bring your own drink and glass night.....do I take a bottle of wine or would that look OTT?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 12:55 PM

Take along what ever you enjoy be it wine or lemonade.
Decaf
Kent

05-10-2013, 01:00 PM

How daft of me...never thought of taking a soft drink
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 01:06 PM

think full bottle of wine could lead to the wrong conclusion but perhaps one of the small bottles they sell in supermarkets may be better.

Chap I once worked for told me he had 2 glasses of wine per night never any more.........didn't tell me each glass held 1 bottle though.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 01:09 PM

No need to worry about anything Decaf, I'm sure everyone will be doing their best to make you feel relaxed, you'll have a great time.
Bring a bottle of Vodka and they'll be all over you.
Decaf
Kent

05-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
think full bottle of wine could lead to the wrong conclusion but perhaps one of the small bottles they sell in supermarkets.

Chap I once worked for told me he had 2 glasses of wine per night never any more.........didn't tell me each glass held 1 bottle though.
That's what I thought as well! I would hate to make the wrong impression
And I can just imagine that chap...I have a couple of glasses here that just gather dust...each holds half a bottle of wine! I won't be taking one of those tonight
Decaf
Kent

05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
No need to worry about anything Decaf, I'm sure everyone will be doing their best to make you feel relaxed, you'll have a great time.
Bring a bottle of Vodka and they'll be all over you.
If I took a bottle of vodka I'd be all over them

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top