Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 02:08 AM

Royal Navy is here

HMS Daring enters Sydney harbour in company with a New Zealand and Indonesian vessel as part of the International Fleet Review:

Prince Harry is here:

They are celebrating 100 years of the Australian Navy

There are warships from many nations including China, Indonesia, Malaysia NZ, Britain, France, PNG, USA and many more. All visiting the finest harbour in the world (not my words another far more famous pommie said that)

I have a ticket to visit the ships in Garden Island on Monday and tomorrow night I am staying with my youngest son to watch the fireworks from his flat in Neutral Bay.

BTW my son said that on each ship all the information gathers are collecting every bit of information they can get especially on the Chinese Guided Missile destroyer PLAN Qingdao and USS Chosin . Ya gotta laugh.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 05:04 AM

Re: Royal Navy is here

Sure hope the Indonesian people smugglers are reading this - as it will be very difficult time to ring up for a rescue boat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Looks impressive Bruce
Enjoy your visit and the fireworks
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Congratulations to the Australian Navy and best wishes to your serving son Bruce. I think I remember you saying your son is in the Navy.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Oooooooooohhhh - someone's sent the gunboat (again). Are we invading Australia a second time??? If so, on its return, both the ship and the crew will need full decontamination before they're allowed into port.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Viewing those magnificent ships & crew has brought out the patriot in me.

"God save our gracious Queen" etc.

Interesting turn around in events that HARRY should become the more likeable brother.( despite his howlers)
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:11 PM

What an impressive sight that must be, Bruce

Congratulations to the Australian Navy, I'm sure you will enjoy your visit on Monday...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Congratulations to the Australian Navy and best wishes to your serving son Bruce. I think I remember you saying your son is in the Navy.
Both my sons are in the RAN.

One is on HMAS Success now after a couple of years on HMAS ANZAC. Currently HMAS Success is in Sydney Harbour acting as a floating cocktail lounge for the VIPs to watch the fleet and the fireworks.

Judging by this photo he is in charge of their hats.

The youngest one flies off to Darwin on Sunday to take part in Operation Sovereign Borders the government's half baked, daft plan to Stop the Boats.

He is normally a Combat Systems Operator on a minehunter but he has just finished a two year stint on HMAS Gascoyne and was asked if he wanted to go on this OP (they are desperately short of crews). He will have 11 weeks training before he goes on the boarding parties either on a Navy or a customs patrol boat.

I don't envy him six months based in Darwin at this time of the year but if he enjoys it he could stay longer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oooooooooohhhh - someone's sent the gunboat (again). Are we invading Australia a second time??? If so, on its return, both the ship and the crew will need full decontamination before they're allowed into port.
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty. I don't know about checking for contamination but they will probably be checking the hull very carefully, last time a RN ship ventured this far east of Suez the poor bugger ran into some well charted rocks and had to go home on a Dutch barge (HMS Nottingham).

I am hoping that HMS Daring will be at Garden Island so I can go on board, I'd like to get a look at the Chinese and US guided missile ships too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top