Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 07:42 AM

Just a Random Thought ...

I often ponder things and end up with odd questions that I can't answer so I'm hoping for more enlightened souls to explain things

One I thought I had last night: what's the difference between assassination and murder? So far, I've got the benchmark that you have to be famous in order to be assassinated - but isn't it still murder? Why the different term

Do feel free to add your own to be chatted about.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Re: Just a Random Thought ...

Normally one is paid for by another person the the other can be done on the spur of the moment for personal reasons ...Thats my guess
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:33 AM

I guess assignation is less personal, murder you can go hand to hand to do whereas assignation you pick the person off from afar.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I guess assignation is less personal, murder you can go hand to hand to do whereas assignation you pick the person off from afar.
Sorry Julie but this was so funny it brought tears to my eyes.

I think your spell checker had a coronary.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:42 AM

If you are going to assassinate someone it is premeditated, not accidental and you know who your target is.
Murder is classed in different categories like manslaughter, crime of passion, accidental etc.
Still murder I agree but for law it is defined in a different way. You don't
have to be famous to be assassinated as lots of people pay to have their spouses killed.
That's my idea of the differences.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:42 AM

I wrote it correctly blooming spell checker keeps changing what I write today
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:45 AM

I always thought it was derived from an Arabic word but I'm not sure.
Assassination (I believe) is killing for political or royal reasons, for a change of regime.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Another word for 'execution' I think ..... mainly of political standing victims ..... I think .....
Assassination - that is .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Assassination (I believe) is killing for political or royal reasons, for a change of regime.
From memory the word come from Hashish I think it was Afghani or Iranian paid killers drugged up on hash. I am sure wikipedeia has the answer
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Ah! I didn't know that - it sounds about right though Janela, thank you

That makes perfect sense - just wish I'd thought of it myself

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top