Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:19 PM

White Goods always conk out in 3's???

I think it might have been mentioned before but why do White Kitchen goods always break in threes
My first was the grill in my oven. It needs a new element or whatever its called. I cant afford to get a electrician in so bought myself a £40 George Foreman grill which I love until I get the cash for the electrician.
Then my fridge/freezer went but went slowly giving me chance to order a new one but with a up to 35 day delivery due to the fact they had to order it from abroad? My milk started going sour before my new one arrived but I do love my new FF and am really chuffed with it.
Then this morning I put some washing on and the machine does the wash but wont do the spin. I put it on three times on a wash but the spin didn't work once, so that's another expense out of my pension. As Winter is coming I cannot put the washing out if its cold and raining day after day, so its either the Laundrette or a new washer. Hey ho wheres my Lotto win I am due
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Re: White Goods always conk out in 3's???

This I will agree with our fridge broke down, then the washing machine and when the tumble drier failed I nearly cried.

Fridge was beyond saving so we have bought a second hand one, washing machine was repairable to had that repaired, tumble drier we decided to replace as they seem to have improved them over the years and they dry much quicker now saving fuel.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Eee I remember when....
Our first fridge was given to us by an old lady who had it for 20 years , we had it for a further 15 before it broke down. My first washing machine was 10 years old when we got it and lasted us another 7 and our cooker was nearly 30 years old before it broke ... now all this modern stuff last a few years and to expensive to fix its cheaper to throw away and buy another .... its all a con.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 07:06 PM

When we bought this house it was fitted with new Indesit white goods. Total Cr@p - they all broke down except the dishwasher and it was useless.

Rightly or wrongly, we've splashed out and bought more 'top of the range' goods - a Rangemaster cooker, cooker hood & dishwasher and a Miele washing machine. So far they are working great and I hope it was money well spent.

The Miele appliances now have a promotional 10 year warranty.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Sandy have you tried Help the Aged or Age Concern?
I'm sure your local one will have knowledge of someone who can fix the appliance..they may have a list of 'odd job' men too.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Stuff just isn't made to last these days.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Yes, Graham too true.
We had a thread yonks ago about toasters committing suicide, after six months I believe.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 08:06 PM

The wife tells me the drum in the washing machine wont spin for her, she's getting someone out from the company to fix it on Monday, no charge for parts or labour as it's still under guarantee but 119 euro's for the call out charge, some guarantee eh.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 08:09 PM

THey say that White goods have a life of around 5/7 years so if they where all brought at the same time(fitted kitchen) then they tend to break down at the same time.

Simples
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 12:00 AM

I hate abuse. If your white goods breakdown then consider how you have treated them. They don't breakdown without reason. You have abused them without a second thought - as a lot of women do. Tis in your nature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top