Join for free
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Goose Fair in Nottingham

You may have heard about the Goose Fair which is held in Nottingham, England once a year in the first week of October. It starts tonight for the next 4 days. People come from all over to enjoy the rides and the atmosphere which is a delight for lots of them.
It originally started over 700 years ago in 1284 when hundreds of Geese were brought from the Lincolnshire area to be sold in the Market Square in the centre of Snottingham town as it was in those days. It has now moved to a area called The Forest which is about a mile from the Market Square.
It has now become a giant Fair ground for these four days and millions of pounds are spent on the rides, toffee apples and hotdogs etc.
Today after a very dry month it started raining which is a norm for the Goose Fair four days. So you know to bring your raincoat and wellington boots if visiting the Goose Fair. I haven't been to it since my kids grew up but I am sure everyone will be enjoying themselves and as its been going for over 700 years I wonder how many Millions have done the same Anyone on here ever been to it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Re: Goose Fair in Nottingham

Hi Sandy I went to the Goose Fair as a child living in Derbyshire . I can't remember much about it though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
You may have heard about the Goose Fair which is held in Nottingham, England once a year in the first week of October. It starts tonight for the next 4 days. People come from all over to enjoy the rides and the atmosphere which is a delight for lots of them.
It originally started over 700 years ago in 1284 when hundreds of Geese were brought from the Lincolnshire area to be sold in the Market Square in the centre of Snottingham town as it was in those days. It has now moved to a area called The Forest which is about a mile from the Market Square.
It has now become a giant Fair ground for these four days and millions of pounds are spent on the rides, toffee apples and hotdogs etc.
Today after a very dry month it started raining which is a norm for the Goose Fair four days. So you know to bring your raincoat and wellington boots if visiting the Goose Fair. I haven't been to it since my kids grew up but I am sure everyone will be enjoying themselves and as its been going for over 700 years I wonder how many Millions have done the same Anyone on here ever been to it?

Not personally Sandi darlin' - but my Sister & B-I-L now live in Derby (they used to live just over border in Ilkeston) and they've been to the fair some years
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
It originally started over 700 years ago in 1284 when hundreds of Geese were brought from the Lincolnshire area to be sold in the Market Square in the centre of Snottingham town as it was in those days.
?

I remember reading a long time ago that they used to put something (was it grease or tar?) on the geese feet to protect the poor things during the long walks.
Is that the same fair that alot of gipsy's sell their horses at or am I getting confused with another one?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I remember reading a long time ago that they used to put something (was it grease or tar?) on the geese feet to protect the poor things during the long walks.
Is that the same fair that alot of gipsy's sell their horses at or am I getting confused with another one?
You are probably thinking of Appleby Horse fair held in Westmorland every year Mups.

I have lived in Nottinghamshire most of my life but have never been to the Goose Fair, but then again I don't go to any fairground, just not my thing I guess...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Appleby in Cumbria is where the horses fair is held.

Nottingham Goose fair is one of the old Michaelmas fairs where the agricultural hirings took place and the quarter day rent was paid, this often included the gift a goose for the landlord.
All very Thomas Hardy

My Uncle Albert a farmer used to tell me about the hirings .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
You are probably thinking of Appleby Horse fair held in Westmorland every year Mups.
I have lived in Nottinghamshire most of my life but have never been to the Goose Fair, but then again I don't go to any fairground, just not my thing I guess...

Aah, yes, you are right Plantman, I remember now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top