Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Films in general

'Todays films - require the attention span of a fruit fly'
Said by Barry Norman .....
True - I say, tried a few, switched off. Same old thing, fast cars, special effects, silly women - silly men .....
No great dialogue anymore, cant tell one actor from the other, no great characters ..... How I miss the 'greats'
One gem will come about - at some time .....
TV movies have the edge for me, tho' not seen recent ones for a while ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Re: Films in general

Still some good films being made, still some fantastic actors around too. Just avoid the dross and pick the ones the critics don't like is our way of finding good films.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 02:35 PM

I don't like it when they do remakes - they seldom come anywhere near the original films.

There's a chap on youtube making his own films and I was surprised at how good he is and he's earning quite a name for himself on there. He'd tried to sell his films to the big companies but they turned him down; why I don't know as the one I watched knocked the socks off pretty much every film I've watched recently.

Maybe keep an eye out for the independents!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 02:38 PM

I'm not 'too' bothered Kal - the greats will always be available ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 04:06 PM

I agree, they all seem to have lost the plot in the film industry.
Even my grandkids tell me there's nothing good on the cinema they want to see, young Liam (13) is having great fun watching all the old Barman episodes with Adam West on youtube, remember the SOK! PHOW! CLATTER! coming up on the screen, and he thinks Caesar Romero is the bee's knees as the Joker, he tells me that Romero refused to shave off his mustache for the part so they just put the makeup on over it, if you look closely you can see the mustache, I never knew that back then when I used to watch it, so you see kids do pay attention today, well sometimes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Great post Jem ......
I've read comments from youngsters regarding our TV back then .....
Lovely to see them enjoying the old stuff they can get on You Tube, warms yer heart ...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 04:25 PM

I think as far as mainstream cinema is concerned, Barry Norman is right it's all noise and special effects. The scariest film I ever saw as a youngster was "The Haunting" with Claire Bloom and Richard Harris (1963). There were no special effects as I recall and the terror was induced by acting, tension, great sound and good editing. In 1999 they did a remake with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones - it was absolutely chockful of special effects, ghosts and ghoulies, and everything else you expect from a modern "horror" film. It was absolute rubbish - not scary for one moment and certainly not good enough to hold your attention.

There are still some good movies being made though they tend to be by independents rather than big studios.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Yes Mick - agree ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think as far as mainstream cinema is concerned, Barry Norman is right it's all noise and special effects. The scariest film I ever saw as a youngster was "The Haunting" with Claire Bloom and Richard Harris (1963). There were no special effects as I recall and the terror was induced by acting, tension, great sound and good editing. In 1999 they did a remake with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones - it was absolutely chockful of special effects, ghosts and ghoulies, and everything else you expect from a modern "horror" film. It was absolute rubbish - not scary for one moment and certainly not good enough to hold your attention.

There are still some good movies being made though they tend to be by independents rather than big studios.
Yes, that was a good film. Another that got to me (when I was younger) was The Haunting of Hill House - the black and white version. The film relied on your imagination and they just nudged you in the right direction - it scared me to death!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Yes, that was a good film. Another that got to me (when I was younger) was The Haunting of Hill House - the black and white version. The film relied on your imagination and they just nudged you in the right direction - it scared me to death!
With those films its the 'atmosphere' thats created ....

The thing that lets down some of the old movies was the music throughout - Bette Davis complained about it - I pictured her trying to do her scene and yelling ....
'Turn that blasted music down ! - I cant hear meself think !'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top