Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Job App

This morning at about 4am I got the a daily job vacancies alert ...One of the jobs was right up my street so at 9.0.clock this morning I phoned the contact no .....The first question i was asked was ......HOW OLD ARE YOU ???...Grrrr...I thought well that's that then ...he then asked me if about my driving licence so i said it was clean , he sounded impressed...he then asked me what I do or did , he said that's interesting .....he then invited me to a interview on Thursday at 3pm .....It took the wife 1/2 hr to pick me up..
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Re: Job App

Congrats on getting an interview, hope it goes well.

But why did he ask about your age? Under current legislation, this should not be an issue.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
This morning at about 4am I got the a daily job vacancies alert ...One of the jobs was right up my street so at 9.0.clock this morning I phoned the contact no .....The first question i was asked was ......HOW OLD ARE YOU ???...Grrrr...I thought well that's that then ...he then asked me if about my driving licence so i said it was clean , he sounded impressed...he then asked me what I do or did , he said that's interesting .....he then invited me to a interview on Thursday at 3pm .....It took the wife 1/2 hr to pick me up..

Oh wow, Steve matey - that is encouraging news indeed!!! - good luck with the interview on Thursday - lets hope by Friday you'll have a brand new job!!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Good luck really hope this works out for you can't think of anyone who deserves it more TBH.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Ok, I may as well be brutal cos in these circumstances it don't pay to be anything but. Goes like this: no negative crap, in other words be proud of who you are and what you have been, but ALWAYS be a good listener, so know when to keep the old trap shut. Believe it or not I have had quite a number of jobs in my time but interviews I always sailed through. Nobody likes a suck arse or an over confident braggart. Just be enough for what they want.

*steps down off podium*

Oh, and good luck .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Good luck Steve, hope this is the one for you!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 01:39 AM

Monday 23.09.13 08:15 PM

Steve this has been going on for over a year now, and you haven't mentioned how you're managing with your mortgage, your disabled son and your missus for ages, so please let us know how you're doing.

Some of us have very long memories and this has to be one of the longest ongoing discussions.

A prospective employer is not allowed to discuss your age with you, as presumably you've put that in your CV, nor are they allowed to interview you over the phone.

Seriously, I don't know what "alerted" you at 4 a.m. Monday morning about a job offer and, if that's right, why didn't you respond immediately instead of waiting another five hours till 9 a.m? Why did he ask you what did you do? Was that not in the CV either? Why would you be alerted at 4 a.m? By what method was this? Text, email, phone call? What was the vacancy for?

You posted this on Monday at 8.15 p.m, and said the interview is on Thursday, but it took your wife half an hour to pick you up on Monday.

Sorry chuck, but I'm just not getting this at all, so please explain further.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
[B][I]Monday 23.09.13 08:15 PM
I don't know what "alerted" you at 4 a.m. Monday morning about a job offer and, if that's right, why didn't you respond immediately instead of waiting another five hours till 9 a.m? Why did he ask you what did you do? Was that not in the CV either? Why would you be alerted at 4 a.m? By what method was this? Text, email, phone call? What was the vacancy for?

You posted this on Monday at 8.15 p.m, and said the interview is on Thursday, but it took your wife half an hour to pick you up on Monday.

Sorry chuck, but I'm just not getting this at all, so please explain further.
I will try to answer some of what you asked so here goes ...I had been doing a bit of amateur astronomy ' hence i was still up (see pic in other post) ..I get daily updates from certain job agencies and job boards ...some of which come through early in the morning ...I found the vacancy listed in one of these alerts.....why did i wait till 9.0 clock ??? well the contact method was by phone only ..a mobile number ...I don't think the contact would have appreciated a call that early.Also what would have happened if i had refused to answer the question 'how old are you' or told a lie and turned up at the interview a liar or to be found out after I get offered the job ..honesty is the best policy ..They have not seen my CV and they have said the job add they are looking for 2 drivers immediate start ...this ties in with your question about my mortgage ...I am still struggling to pay it and need money as my wife's wages don't cover it all ....my savings will subsidise it for another 6 months ...The End

PS You posted this on Monday at 8.15 p.m, and said the interview is on Thursday, but it took your wife half an hour to pick you up on Monday. JOKE
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

24-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Hmmmm I just finished posting and got 2 e mail alerts come in ...This is one of the boards ..note the time

this employment board searches and lists all jobs which fit my search criteria and send them to me...I have several search parameters with this site ....and sometimes get a listing of over 100 vacancies ..many off which are not compatible for me ....however this is the Job i found early Monday morning

....I keep copies of EVERY job I apply for and ALL associated emails notes and correspondence etc. ...I also keep copies of every e mail alert from the job boards I subscribe to...and whilst writing this post i have just had another e mail alert with 40 vacancies on it , unfortunately there are none in my area or fit my skills ....and tomorrow 1st thing i will do is check my E mails again then i will go to the Job centre and check there , then sign on , then I am going to a class to learn some techniques on how to write a cover letter..
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 03:28 AM

Yes Steve, fingers crossed. Hope it works out for you.

Just one question. If employers don't ask an applicant's age, wouldn't that applicant possibly waste a trip to the interview? Once s/he shows up, the prospective employer will find out the age and make a decision then, in regards to giving the person a job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top