Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Specs, contacts or laser surgery?

(Not cataract surgery - that's a different subject)

Which of the above do you use to counteract the affects of ageing on your sight? Would you go for laser surgery if it was available on the NHS?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Re: Specs, contacts or laser surgery?

hmm...well contacts would be out for me.

I always miss my aim trying to see what I'm putting in my eye. I always miss with the optrex.

Yes, I'd have laser eye surgery if it was on the NHS ...though I've no idea what it costs private anyway.

Is it much does anyone know?
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 08:53 PM

I may be wrong, but I think that laser surgery can't correct bad vision due to ageing - macular degeneration, I think it's called.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 08:54 PM

I wore glasses for reading for a few years, but as soon as I was told I needed them for driving, went onto contacts, which I find brilliant....
MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 09:12 PM

I'm more than happy with my varifocals thanks. I have dry eyes because of some of my medication so contacts aren't feasible and the idea of laser surgery actually scares me, what if it goes badly wrong? Or am I just a scaredy-cat?
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

10-08-2009, 09:15 PM

I've worn specs for so long, since I was a baby (to correct a lazy eye) that I just don't feel right without them.

I love my specs and treat them as a definite fashion statement
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
(Not cataract surgery - that's a different subject)

Which of the above do you use to counteract the affects of ageing on your sight? Would you go for laser surgery if it was available on the NHS?
Are you still wearing the ones you keep in a month DM...??
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
I may be wrong, but I think that laser surgery can't correct bad vision due to ageing - macular degeneration, I think it's called.
I think you could well be right on that one I certainly don't know anyone who has had it done. I think I'd be too scared anyway - you only have one set of eyes, imagine if the laser slipped or you had a hopeless surgeon and your sight was badly damaged.

I like my 'wear 'em all the time, day and night' lenses. Easy to put in and out at the monthly changeover and I don't feel like a doddery old lady, reaching for my specs in shops to see the size/price/ingredients of things. Also safer for driving I think.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 12:28 AM

I think finding a good laser surgeon is key - and I would prob go for that (but maybe one eye at a time in case they mess it up! )
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 08:31 AM

I went for a consultation about laser eye surgery a year or so ago.
They were very helpful and were willing to do it but........
I have such poor sight I had a ten percent chance of problems.These included being left with worse sight, which they might not be able to correct with glasses. By the time he'd listed all the things that could go wrong I couln't escape fast enough. I wish I'd had it done years ago before my eyes were so bad. I know two people who've had the operation and been very happy with the results.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top