Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Big Cat Diary

Do you recall this show - one of my favourites ....
Last night we watched 2 episodes we had kept from 2006 - it was great to see it again.
Having seen so many rotten mothers on the news recently, they could sure learn a thing or two from the animal kingdom, the mothering skills and love they show to their young is amazing to watch. So pleased we kept this to see again .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 05:00 AM

Re: Big Cat Diary

That's not always the case Pat. When he retired from the pit my father kept pigs to supplement his pension. He had a breeding sow which, when it had it's first lot of piglets, killed them as they were being born. The ones that survived he took away from her and we had to hand rear them.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

19-09-2013, 05:49 AM

WE just had a few episodes here in WA on the ABC (BBC)
I like the predatory nature of the big cats,but that is sofened by the mother cats nurturing of the kittens.Hard by instinct and soft by choice,a bit like myself! lol.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
That's not always the case Pat. When he retired from the pit my father kept pigs to supplement his pension. He had a breeding sow which, when it had it's first lot of piglets, killed them as they were being born. The ones that survived he took away from her and we had to hand rear them.
I know that Alan - the Mothers I have witnessed lately via the news, should be forced to watch the programmes and see for themselves a true Mother at work.
A lioness and a Cheetah, both only to willing to sacrifice their lives for their cubs ......
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

19-09-2013, 07:43 AM

I have never seen a sow eat its young,was it being fed?

I worked on a pig farm in the early 70's,we sent nearly 2000 bacon pigs a week to the abbatoir,it was a massive set up,large white boars against land race sows,never seen a sow do that,its unusual,it is to my working knowlege of breeding pigs.
I have seen a sow eat a broken heating lamp in the farrowing shed,so the little ones dident get cut,seen a few piglets killed when the mother layed on them,it was a pretty sad set up though,farming pigs commercially is pretty cruel,better off open range.

Billy
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
I have never seen a sow eat its young,was it being fed

Billy
It didn't eat them Billy, just savaged them and killed them, about 3 of them, the rest we managed to rescue.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:21 AM

It didn't eat them Billy, just savaged them and killed them, about 3 of them, the rest we managed to rescue.

Just been a case in China about that with an elephant calf.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...-unusual-video
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:31 AM

That can happen in other animals as well. Sometimes it is because the mother is too young and doesn't know how to cope, or the surroundings are totally unsuitable. In nature, animals try to find a safe , private place to give birth where they know their babies will be safe away from prying eyes & predators, but they are not always able to do this in a domestic environment.
What really makes me sad, is the family who's bitch is trying to give birth and they all sit round and watch, telly blaring, even neighbours invited in - and they wonder why the mother kills her puppies! (Not saying that's what happened with your Dad's pigs)!!
That's probably why alot of bitches whelp at night when the humans have all cleared off to bed!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2013, 12:44 PM

I was thinking the same Mups - in the wild its a matter of survival ....
Obviously you get animals that are a little unhinged as with people, but its very special to see the 'majority' of wild animals fending for their young .....
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 02:32 PM

We were lucky enough to have one of the drivers for Big Cat Diary on a safari on the Masai Mara, he was a very knowledgable man and a superb animal spotter. We have been a few times to the Mara and each time we stayed at the Mara Safari Club. I can't remember which number series it was but we were watching the first episode when the team were setting up camp and talking in very hushed whispers, having the viewers believe they were setting up camp on the Mara. Well during the setting up of this camp we spotted in the background the rustic fence that surrounds the Mara Safari Club. A little bit of 'research' and we found out that the base camp is always set up in the grounds of the Mara Safari Club, so basically the TV people are always safe and sound at night. All vehicles and people must be out of national parks by 6 p.m. (at least I think it's 6 p.m). I suppose it's possible that film crews paying mega money might be allowed special dispensation in some circumstances.

Sorry, back on topic, we had a guinea pig who after 3 days killed all her babies and I believe it's quite common for rabbits to kill their babies too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top