Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Plastic Bags!

The Government are announcing a forced charge of 5p on plastic carrier bag, proceeds to be given to charity.
I think not a bad idea to help the environment, but obviously there are some reasons to be against it.
What are your views on this?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Re: Plastic Bags!

I find this whole charging for plastic bags a puzzle. Take M&S for example: if I buy food and clothes/shoes, they want to charge me for bags for food but I get bags for clothes/shoes for free

Everything comes packaged in plastic as well when there is no need for everthing to be in plastic containers and there are those of us that wish it wasn't!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
The Government are announcing a forced charge of 5p on plastic carrier bag, proceeds to be given to charity.
I think not a bad idea to help the environment, but obviously there are some reasons to be against it.
What are your views on this?
I thought most people took there own bags these days, I always do.
A few years ago Waitrose and Marks started producing a strong version of plastic bags which were initially given away free. ( I don't shop anywhere else so don't know if other supermarkets offer a similar scheme but guess they do).

They now charge 10p per bag for these bags.
However the bags which were given away initial or any bags purchased subsequently can be exchanged for free once they become torn or worn out any you can change them in either shop.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:49 AM

I won't buy plastic bags as I don't see the point of it if we're trying not to use plastic bags (bit of a misnomer to me) but I do have the cloth bags that I use - unless I'm running out of bin liners (our supermarkets still give them away free).
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 10:03 AM

If the bags are to cost, will they be plain?
I don't see why we should be charged for advertising. Bit of a cheek eh?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 10:08 AM

I think most folks miss a very important point, shops have never given anything away, you are charged in the mark up of the goods you buy.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
If the bags are to cost, will they be plain?
I don't see why we should be charged for advertising. Bit of a cheek eh?
I have said that in supermarkets - if they want me to pay then I want a plain plastic bag; if they want me to advertise their store, why should I pay for the privilege!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I think most folks miss a very important point, shops have never given anything away, you are charged in the mark up of the goods you buy.
But the price of goods hasn't come down to reflect that the bags are no longer free.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 10:49 AM

I shop at Lidl and as such have been paying for my bags for years anyway, so it won't bother me.

For people who shop at Tescos or Asda where they are currently free, I'm sure it will be a cause of vexation.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 10:56 AM

Typical "green" gesture politics whose only real effects will be to increase people's expenditure, raise corporate profits and maybe raise some funds for charities which you may not even support!
I think we should organise a campaign where people load up several trolleys worth of food (preferably frozen) and take it to the check-out. When they are asked to pay for their plastic bags, refuse to pay and walk out leaving the shop with loads of shopping to put away. A few of those each day in each supermarket and the shops would soon rebel and stop charging.
I've done it on two occasions when our local Tesco ran out of plastic bags - they were not happy!
If shops are prepared to take our money, the least they can do is to provide free plastic bags to carry it away in!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top