Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 12:13 PM

charities

someone comes up to you on the street and asks you to donate to a certain charity...but they don't want money from you ..they want your bank details so they can collect the money by direct debit.....what do you do.....i give to certain charities ,,put money in their box...but i would never donate by direct debit
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Re: charities

They have lost me at that point and I walk away. I do a bit of fund raising myself for a small charity, we stand still we engage people in conversation if they wish and say thank you very much for anything they put in our box. They can say hello to our dogs whether they donate or not, and many a penny has been given because they can't resist the little face gazing lovingly at them LOL

If people want to do more they can take a leaflet go home and think about whether they wish to set up a regular debit or get involved in some other way with no pressure from us.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 12:36 PM

I do give to two charities by direct debit, but I set them up myself. I would never do it on the street.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 12:36 PM

No way - Pedro !!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Must admit I really don't like "chuggers" (Charity Muggers).
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 01:18 PM

We had a spate of cold callers to the door, wanting us to donate £2 a month to their charity, I treated them with suspicion and a no thanks. Maybe lots of others did too. that's why they seem to have stopped calling.
One I remember was for McMillan, I couldn't believe they would do this, so rang them up to ask - and yes they did.

Trouble is if you donate £2 a month, they then waste the money by bombarding you with mail asking for more.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 01:28 PM

They sure do Val .....
Dee
Hamilton, Canada
Dee is female  Dee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 01:55 PM

I try to help out clothing charities and such by packing boxes for pick-up. And, if a small child or adult knocks on the door, selling apples, chocolate bars , whatever, i will usually give them small amount of cash, if i have it. Always give something to cancer research, at the door. But, never give my bank debit or anything out to anyone. If they do not accept cash, then i cannot. Once, i had an adult male knock on door, wanting to cut my grass, whatever, to get some fast cash. But, i sent him away,as he looked suspcious. You never know these days...
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 02:19 PM

I think the charities who will only accept direct debit must be loosing out ..because i don't know anyone who would give out their bank details willy nilly
I always give to cancer charities...because it's at everybody's door ...unfortunately
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=valice;344650]We had a spate of cold callers to the door, wanting us to donate £2 a month to their charity, I treated them with suspicion and a no thanks. Maybe lots of others did too. that's why they seem to have stopped calling.
One I remember was for McMillan, I couldn't believe they would do this, so rang them up to ask - and yes they did.

Trouble is if you donate £2 a month, they then waste the money by bombarding you with mail asking for more.[/QUOTE]

This came up recently in a post about the RSPCA. I said they knocked on Mum's door (she is 88) and wanted her d/d details for donating. Thankfully she told them where to go.
Another friend who does donate by d/d to RSPCA was most annoyed by a very persistent and pushy bloke trying to make her increase her monthly donations, he just wouldn't go, so she told him if he didn't clear off she would cancel her d/d altogether. He left her in peace then.
I personally, wouldn't donate this way in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top