Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 10:57 AM

HS2 Confusion

I hear a lot being said about how the HS2 will earn so much money for Britain (latest figures are £15bn) but I don't understand the hows and whys of that - isn't it just another train but one that goes a bit faster? How will that generate income for the country?

It's costing £42bn (to date) to build and won't start 'earning' money until 2037 - all to arrive in London 20 minutes quicker? If the existing railway network doesn't operate efficiently, how will this make such a massive difference?

Wouldn't £42bn be better spent on improving the lives of everyone in Britain?

I have heard that the 'independent' report was actually commissioned by the people wanting to build it - and that turns out to be a European company. Have we been sold another crock?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Re: HS2 Confusion

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It's costing £42bn (to date) to build and won't start 'earning' money until 2037 - all to arrive in London 20 minutes quicker? If the existing railway network doesn't operate efficiently, how will this make such a massive difference?
No idea what you are talking about but look at the bright side; you can get out of London 20 minutes quicker.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 01:53 PM

I don't see how it will earn any money at all. apart from for the people who want to build it, it's going to cost a lot of money just to save 20 minutes off a journey.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I don't see how it will earn any money at all. apart from for the people who want to build it, it's going to cost a lot of money just to save 20 minutes off a journey.
I'm inclined to agree. It MAY benefit some businesses to some extent, but I don't know enough to comment on that. My feeling is that it will only benefit those who build it, as Jimmy says.

The NHS could do with all that money, which would surely benefit far more people in the long run...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 01:51 PM

When it is finished the ordinary man in the street, will not be able to afford a ride on it, a bit like the Concord airplane.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 11:32 AM

I am so relieved to hear others say they don't understand it as well. It does seem that it could be another bit of palm-greasing going on in Europe with us footing the bill

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

The NHS could do with all that money, which would surely benefit far more people in the long run...
That was one of my main thoughts: I'm sure people would rather the Health Service was put right instead of a very fast train!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
When it is finished the ordinary man in the street, will not be able to afford a ride on it, a bit like the Concord airplane.
Which begs the question: why is the taxpayer paying for it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 02:05 PM

This is my understanding, London and the Home Counties coexist with the rest of the country in that they have their own set of salary structures, and subsequent property values, it obviously puts a greater strain on private and public company payrolls in this area, and reduces the competitiveness of the companies concerned, so, if you can ship commuters in from a greater distance, where living costs are less, companies can then use these workers as a tool to level the playing field, the cost savings being used as a case for the HS2.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Wouldn't it be better then to just do away with centralisation? It always causes these social problems for both sides and makes no sense to me at all especially with today's technology - it just isn't necessary.
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Hmm, thought that this was/is a Post Code in the Hebrides. You are all very welcome to visit the Hebrides & have a wonderful holiday. Plenty of Midgies & Clegs at the moment.
Maybe after the P.O. is privatised we will need all the tourism that we can get as we will not be able to rely on the P.O. Probably cut off for ever! Maybe we should be independant from the whole of the U.K.
Who's coming up on holiday? Sorry no railway's since Lord Leverhume.
I'm off to St Lucia!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top