Join for free
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Way out books

As a side track to Cheshire cats thread
It reminded me of the books I read in my hippy days
The main one's being Herman Hesse's Siddartha.
What other way out books did other hippies on here read .
I tried to reread it in my 40's and it meant nothing to me ... but had so much meaning the first time I read ... maybe it was just to much of the pot ... !!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Re: Way out books

Yea man ......
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 05:19 AM

I don't know about being 'hippy' but I remember reading the Gormengast books in my 20's. as I recall I enjoyed them at the time, but when it was made into t.v. Series with June Brown none of it seemed remotely familiar.

Another strange series I read around the same time was Chlochmerle, which I found hilarious at the time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
As a side track to Cheshire cats thread
It reminded me of the books I read in my hippy days
The main one's being Herman Hesse's Siddartha.
What other way out books did other hippies on here read .
I tried to reread it in my 40's and it meant nothing to me ... but had so much meaning the first time I read ... maybe it was just to much of the pot ... !!!
I never read Siddartha but I did read "The Glass Bead Game" which I enjoyed immensely. Gunter Grasse (sp?) was another favourite - 'The Tin Drum' was a great read.

How about Norman Mailer? his books were almost hypnotic, his ego enormous - 'Of a Fire on the Moon', 'Armies of the Night' were two of my favourite books for years. Unfortunately I've never read any of his novels. Anybody else read his stuff?
Lifemask
New Member!
Devon
Lifemask is female 

19-09-2013, 11:00 AM

I also read the Hermann Hesse books, the Gormenghast trilogy and "The Tin Drum" - I also remember reading "On the Road" and "The Dharma Bums" (Jack Kerouac), "The Outsider" (Colin Wilson), "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and various books by Knut Hamsun and R. D. Laing. I've read "The Naked and the Dead" by Norman Mailer which, surprisingly, I enjoyed as it's not really my kind of book.
Those were the days! I think my literary tastes have gone downhill since then!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top