Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Business Rates

Just saw on the news that more and more shops are closing down, not just because of internet sales but business rates.
A guy was featured who had lost his job, 2 year back. So he used all his savings to set up a fish n chip shop, he's in his 50s. Now - so soon, he has to let it go, because of crippling business rates as well as the rent.
Makes me so mad ! WHY - cant the Government see that it is better to take 'lower' rates from these shops than have 'no' rates at all !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Re: Business Rates

I can never understand it either - the local councils charge so much in rates and rent of properties on the high street (or any busy street to be honest) and it's crippling. Just the rent alone on the building we rented for our business cost thousands a year and that was without rates and running costs. We had to clear £150,000.00 each year just to keep the building operational - add to that wages, computers, printers, furniture, lighting, heating and other consumables, it's an expensive thing.

The government should stop whinging about the banks and do something - those banks are state owned (at the moment) and local councils come under government scrutiny all the time. How are new businesses supposed to flourish.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Just put the bloomin rates down ! Its bloomin simple isn't it - with all the business going under, the councils will lose heavily - whats the bloomin point of this nonsense I ask meself - why cant they show some common sense for a bloomin change !! Idiots !
Can you tell I'm annoyed Kal ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:48 PM

I do feel sorry for small local business crippled by business rates.

In my area the small business are not helped by the local council which insist on charging car parking fees to people who only wish to stop for five minutes and won't pay the car park fees on principle preferring instead to go to the multinational stores on the business park which have free parking.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Yes - thats another thing !
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Our town has a free after three parking system, which we try to use. Bit daft having to get a ticket as well though.

A number of businesses do 'well' and have a good name, but the owners are working hard and can't earn enough to pay themselves a wage. Business overheads just don't allow people to succeed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Just put the bloomin rates down ! Its bloomin simple isn't it - with all the business going under, the councils will lose heavily - whats the bloomin point of this nonsense I ask meself - why cant they show some common sense for a bloomin change !! Idiots !
Can you tell I'm annoyed Kal ......
There's just a smidgen of a hint Pats
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 07:03 PM

No they dont Val - this poor guy will have to sign on now - wheres the justice or sense in that !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
There's just a smidgen of a hint Pats
I'm as mad as a bull seeing that red cape flickin at him !!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 07:49 PM

We have to have business rates, councils and government need money to run the country.
Good businesses would or should have been on the internet, we blamed the people/customers, panicking and not spending.
The climate is much the same now, and the only thing that can help business is the OAP's, they are the ones with the money stashed away.
Having said that many OAP"s are in dire need, my comment about having money stashed away, was obviously referring to the wealthy retired.
When big supermarkets return bad figures, there must be something wrong somewhere, people are not spending much on food, because prices are rising by the day, and it will get worse.
The government austerity plan is not working despite their claim it is, the only way we can get out of this is with growth.
Only big business can survive, and even they will struggle, we will see big businesses fail along with the small shopkeepers, many have already gone or on a knife edge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top