Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 08:47 PM

MRI Scan

So folks, earlier this evening I went to the hospital and had my MRI scan. No waiting - Radiographer was actually there at reception desk waiting for me. Took me in, emptied my pockets of all metal objects, didn't even have to undress. Climbed onto the trolley he pushed me inside the machine (it was a matter of about 3" from my face and there I laid for the next 30 minutes while the machine whirred, thumped and banged around me. He did give me a pair of industrial ear defenders to wear, but the noise was overwhelming and could be heard through the defenders. But I was fine with it. The results will now be sent to my surgeon and in a couple of weeks he and I will need to have a chat.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Re: MRI Scan

Hope it all goes well, Uncle Joe.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 10:23 PM

I've heard this a lot from people who have had MRI scans - how noisy they are. When I had mine, about 15 years ago, it wasn't noisy at all, just the odd clicks now and again. Why have they become so noisy?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 11:31 PM

I had one a while back too BV, and it sounded like a cross between a disco and road works, it was that noisy. I had to keep my eyes closed because I would have panicked if I saw the roof of the tunnel too close to my face, like being buried alive (shudder)! Don't know why they're such noisy things I'm sure.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;342356]So folks, earlier this evening I went to the hospital and had my MRI scan. QUOTE]

Very best of luck with the results UJ, enjoy your mini break and put the scan out of head for the time being.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 12:57 AM

I hated mine a couple of years ago, and I kept my eyes firmly closed as well. It was only my head they were scanning so it wasn't a whole body thing, but the noise was terrifying.

Sounds of road works, then a few gentle clicks then BANG like a motorcyle revving right above my head.

I was given earphones with music, but the tape/CD ran out after five minutes and, each time there was a really loud noise, I jumped out of my skin - nearly gave me a heart attack it did.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 01:38 AM

I have had at least 6 MRIs now I just concentrate on the pattern of the clicks and bangs, hate to say it as the last one was at 9.45 p.m. this method of dealing with it worked so well I actually had to be woken up!
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

10-09-2013, 02:01 AM

The last one i had and the 3 or 4 before that i had a big metal plate sitting on my chest?
Others i have had did not have the plate?

Hope all is well though,it gets stressfull waiting and worrying.

Billy
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I've heard this a lot from people who have had MRI scans - how noisy they are. When I had mine, about 15 years ago, it wasn't noisy at all, just the odd clicks now and again. Why have they become so noisy?
Are you sure that you are not muddling it up with a CAT Scan? they look more like a large doughnut in shape whereas a MRI machine is much bigger and is like a 6ft long tunnel in a bulking machine - some overweight people don't even fit in them because the 'tube' is not that large.

MRI scanners are very noisy - all those magnets hurtling around (I think) - some people find them very claustrophobic too.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

10-09-2013, 03:45 AM

CAT Scan machines use radiation,the MRI does not,and that MRI tunnel is long and very claustraphobic!

Billy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top