Join for free
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 07:18 PM

Shared Space

I thought you may be interested in where I live.
Myrtle often mentions she's been to my shared space so here it is!.

You will see from the video what has happened to our village. The traffic lights at the main cross roads were taken away and replaced by roundels. The idea is that pedestrians and vehicles have equal rights. Hence, "shared space".

We were distrupted for months with traffic jams while it was being transformed. We even had a Golden Cone Award on one of the morning programmes for the worst traffic hold ups.

I was very unsure and apprehensive at first, dreading an accident, but so far so good and I don't give it a second thought now. It does seem to work well.

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Re: Shared Space

These innovations are a little unsettling at first but you get used to them. In Kettering we had a crossroad controlled by traffic lights and there were always long queues there. They replaced the traffic lights with a double roundabout, very confusing at first but now the locals are used to it and the queues are much shorter.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Watched a fair bit of the video and can't believe how the traffic is edging around each other slowly! Wonder if it'll work in my neck of the woods, where everyone wants to get everywhere first! Glad it worked for you all.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Its a big long isn't it? About 8 mins into it, will show how it works!.

We do still have a traffic queue but not as long as when the traffic lights were there. It keeps flowing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Interesting Joy I watched a programme about shared space a while back , it was not in the Uk though . The pavements had been removed in a town and pedestrians and cars shared the space. Although it looked a bit scary and chaotic it was working well.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 11:27 AM

They really have done a wonderful job - it looks lovely. Good to see the bus from Macclesfield going through - I could have been on it !
I was dubious at first but it has worked out really well

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top