Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Who goes to the seaside?

Our daughter is here on holiday and since she works in Manchester, she loves getting to the seaside when she visits us.

Today the weather was mild and the sea was flat calm. On the mile or so of beach were - 5 people. That's us and 2 others. OK, the local children have been back at school for 2 weeks now, but even during the holidays, there were rarely more than 20 or 30 people there on a good day.

Contrast this to the 50's & 60's when Britain had railways and the beaches were crowded. This photo only shows a fraction of the beach.

http://www.mcaorals.co.uk/Photos/Fra...gh%20Beach.jpg

So where does everyone go now? It's much the same for all the beaches round here. Fantastic clean sand, plenty of free parking, just no people.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Re: Who goes to the seaside?

When petrol was cheaper we often went to Little Hampton, Rope Walk beach, loved wandering along there with the dogs.

Sadly now we have to limit it to when we are on holiday near a beach but sadder still we often find we can't walk on the beaches as dogs are banned.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 01:57 PM

I live about a 5 minute walk from the beach. When I ran a scout group in this area, I was surprised by the number of young children (6 - 8 year olds) that had never been to the local beach! Nor to any of the local glens either.

I have my little chair, a thermos of coffee, some snacks, my book and off I got to the beach - just to take the dogs you understand

I still love being on beach.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 02:16 PM

I live a few minutes drive from the beach, love the surf, hate the sand.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=ben-varrey;334089
I still love being on beach.[/QUOTE]

Hi BV, Yes, I love a beach as well but unfortunately you couldn't get much further inland than where I am now.
I have always promised myself since young, that I will end my days on the coast somewhere, love everything about it, especially all the space,the smell of the air, and the sound of the sea. Mmmm, I'm dreaming again.
Last autumn a friend of mine dragged me off to Norfolk for a few days. She has part shares in a fab bungalow right by the beach, just about 10ft from the dunes., and we did so enjoy it. We found a baby shark washed up one day, and it was still just about alive, so we placed it back in the water. There are loads of seals there, it was brilliant.
I don't know if I dare admit this, but it was the first time I had been away for around 40 years!!! Won't kennel my dogs you see, but this time I could take them with me. They were like kids racing each other along the beach. Happy days.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 02:56 PM

I spent a week in Prestatyn, North Wales, last week in a caravan with my daughter and two grandchildren - miles of golden sand and luckily we had good weather so we spent a good part of every day on the beach. They are 6 and 10 and love digging, playing cricket, flying kites, hunting for crabs, etc (all whilst Nanna sat and watched from a comfy chair . They even swam in the sea when the tide was in and we saw the sealions bobbing their heads a bit further out. There were lots of families doing the same thing and also plenty of people at Talacre further along coast - lovely beach - disused lighthouse and fantastic sand dunes.

So .... many people still enjoy our beaches
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I love the beach and we regularly go for caravan holidays in Devon. We also make a couple of day trips a year to the Torbay area as it's only an hour and a half car ride away and I enjoy dipping my toes in the sea!

Last week we spent a day at Treasure Island beach which is part of the Tampa Bay region and paddled in the warm gentle waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Beautiful white sand but a blistering temperature in the 90's!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:36 PM

I walk on Dunnet Beach most days with the dog and we exercise the Clydesdales there in the evening. After the Tourists go home we mostly have the beach to ourselves, and most have left now......wonderful..
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 04:33 PM

We live about 25 miles from the beach but we never go now since the children were small.

The best time to go to the beach is on a cold frosty winter morning, Christmas day is good because it's usualy deserted then and all the shops are closed..
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 04:38 PM

I live right near the sea and have actually been in for a swim today. It was lovely.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top