Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Squatters !

Does anyone know the law reagrding 'squatters' .... I thought it was now illegal, but last night in a docu, they had taken over a disused garage forcourt and filled it with their vans and cars and lived there for 3 years, thats how long it took the owner to be able to get them moved !
Still, it wasn't easy, they barracaded the road and access to the site - police just stood around and eventually gave up. Fortunately they moved out the next day .....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Re: Squatters !

We see that here in foreclosed houses. Since the housing crisis many homes are vacant because people just could not afford them any longer.. So squatters have moved in many. They have the gas and lights put in their names and everything. Banks have to evict them and sometimes drag their feet because they feel at least the property is being cared for. Unless of course they turn it into a drug house. We have a vacant house across the road from us. I am always on the look out for any activity over there that may be a problem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:34 PM

I don't know the current law, I do however come to this from the other side though as having back in the 80's been homeless for a year we considered squatting several times. If you are homeless all the empty properties seem a little obscene. We never did it as we lived in our car but we did go into one place that still had water on quite a few times to fill our water containers up. Thank you whoever left that house empty (council I believe) as it made life easier for several weeks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Agree Julie, I do see it from both sides but - in the docus I have seen recently, the squatters do not respect the surroundings at all, the places end up tips !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Part of the problem is type of squatter, I have seen squats that are well kept and you wouldn't actually know they were squatting as they look after the houses so well, then you get people who will never be able to cope with running a home and that's part of the reason they are not in their own homes and of course drugs and drinkers don't make very nice squatters.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top