Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 11:56 PM

Cataracts

Has anybody had them and gone through the procedure to get rid of them please?

Back in April of last year (everything happens to me in April) I was told by my optician that I had early signs of cataracts to both eyes, one slightly worse than the other.

He told me he could fast-track me to an eye clinic whenever I wanted but, although I'm very aware of how important this is, I haven't been back.

I'm scared of the procedure, and I'm scared of going blind, so any assurances you can give me would be most welcome.

Incidentally, I'm very squeamish about anything to do with the eyes.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Re: Cataracts

My husband had the procedure and has done very well. I also have early cataracts, but not bad enough to have them removed.. When they are I surely will.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Mollie darlin' - don't panic!!! - I haven't had them done, but 'Dragon' did - they lazer them off, its not painful and your sight will be all the better for it afterwards.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Mollie quite obvious that you are apprehensive of treatment to your eyes. Everyone is. You say you don't want to go blind but without any treatment you may well go blind.
My cousin had her cataracts done the other year and she was 75 at the time so she is still here three years later and happy as a lark about how
good she can see. Without knowing it her eye sight was getting worse and now they have been cleared she says its fab.
So please go to the Doctors and get them seen to. It is a short
operation and you will be back home after one night if it was like my
cousins op. Take care.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Has anybody had them and gone through the procedure to get rid of them please?

Back in April of last year (everything happens to me in April) I was told by my optician that I had early signs of cataracts to both eyes, one slightly worse than the other.
I am in a similar situation so I have found out about the procedure. It is routine, done under local anaesthetic, takes less than an hour (more like 20 minutes I was told) and they correct your eyesight while they are at it.

Nothing to worry about. Mine doesn't need doing yet but when it does I will get it done privately because it only costs a couple of grand ($).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Mollie my Dad had his cataracts removed by a laser one at a time .The procedure was carried out quickly and efficiently with no need for a hospital stay and Dad was delighted with the results.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Mollie I haven't had them but I am waiting for a date for a cancerous lump removal and laser treatment on my lower lid, I am the worst coward for anything to do with eyes so this is a huge deal for me. If I can do it so can you ! The results from the treatment you are going to have are nothing short of miraculous, and the alternative is losing your sight so please just take a deep breath and get it sorted out !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:28 PM

My husband didn't have his cataract lasered off. He had the whole lens replaced. It's also done under local anesthesia and a little shot of goofy juice to relax you. Then you eye is taped open.. your old cloudy lens is slid out from the side.. and the brand new perfect vision lens is slid in. Takes about 20 minutes and then recovery and HOME with perfect vision. He has had his new lens for almost 10 years now with no problems. With a full lens replacement, you don't have to wait for the cataract to get big and thick enough to laser off. I will have the lens replacement when my cataracts get bothersome..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Mollie - the neighbour lady we look out for had to have both eyes done. She was extremely anxious, she was 83. I reassured her it would be fine and it was, she was so happy when done, which only took a very short time to do at the local hospital. Its very routine. All is well .....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Don't be frightened of it Mollie, there are no needles involved, just eye drops and a general relaxant. The result is a staggering success and with instant results... have it done and you will never look back (excuse the pun)...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top