Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Who wants to make a bet ???

Ok I applied for this Job today ....I have all the relevant requirements that they have asked for on the add.. A clean driving licence class B ...A flexible approach to working hours, A extremely good knowledge of the area as I have been driving it for the last 30+ years ....so logic dictates that I would be a idea candidate ....sooo we shall see if I get a interview ...but all they have to go on is my CV and cover letter....from them they can soon work out my AGE and then fact that i used to earn 50% more than they are paying , (but i don't care about that)....so if I don't get a interview or the Job it means that the "to old and over experienced" curse has struck again
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Re: Who wants to make a bet ???

Have you considered becoming a train driver.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 06:51 PM

It looks to me like it's agency work, the temporary full time description sounds like they only need you when it's busy, then they lay you off when it goes slack.
Also "flexability with working hours" means it is working unsociable hours.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
It looks to me like it's agency work, the temporary full time description sounds like they only need you when it's busy, then they lay you off when it goes slack.
Also "flexability with working hours" means it is working unsociable hours.
Well that may be what he needs... That's how my husband got back into the workforce after being out of work for nearly 2 years. He took agency assignments and put them on his resume.. Many times employers will bypass people that have been out of work too long. I know it sounds crazy.. but they do that.. So a current job on a resume can open up more doors. Plus flexible hours makes it easier to look for better opportunities.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 08:49 PM

I'm not a betting person Martian but I will wish you every success and I have everything crossed for you.

I also echo what has previously been said as my husband got back into to work taking part time jobs and was offered off the back of one of them a full time post. Sometimes just getting a foot in the door is enough to show them what you can do.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 10:19 PM

the paragraph below the job description which I have posted reads I am looking to speak to candidate who can offer

"flexibility with working hours, a full clean B driving licence.This role offers 37.5 hours per week."
that would suit me fine ....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 09:59 AM

Good luck matey!!!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Good luck from me too
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
..but all they have to go on is my CV and cover letter....from them they can soon work out my AGE and then fact that i used to earn 50% more than they are paying , (but i don't care about that)....so if I don't get a interview or the Job it means that the "to old and over experienced" curse has struck again
Can't you trim your CV? leave out all bits which say you are over qualified or earned more money, leave in only the bits which support this job. By doing so you also reduce your apparent age.

You are not falsifying a CV by leaving bits out You could also change the heading to Relevant Experience perhaps or Career Highlights.

A CV should only be one page anyway. Might give yourself a better chance of getting past the initial cull.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

25-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Can't you trim your CV? leave out all bits which say you are over qualified or earned more money, leave in only the bits which support this job. By doing so you also reduce your apparent age.

You are not falsifying a CV by leaving bits out You could also change the heading to Relevant Experience perhaps or Career Highlights.

A CV should only be one page anyway. Might give yourself a better chance of getting past the initial cull.
If I was to 'trim' my CV and leave out all the parts which portrait my experience and disguise my age I would leave a blank sheet ....what do you do with nearly 30 years ....as soon as any employer see a CV like that they are just as likely to 'bin' it .....IE whats this bloke hiding , is he ashamed of something ??? ... That was a scenario that was discussed at a recent CV building course.....Ok you may be able to leave out 1 job and swallow up a year ...but i dont think nearly 30 years can be hidden ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top