Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Jury Service

Just when I thought I'd be safe from Jury Service ever again.
I see on the news the age is being extended to 75 years old

I just hope I never get called again
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by valice ->

Val darlin' - I've been excused jury service because I've been involved in the 'administration of justice'. I would LOVE being on a jury - it can be very interesting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:06 AM

I wouldn't be much good, I can barely remember last week let alone a whole court case.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Hubby has been called three times (once to the Old Bailey) -far from being interesting Geoff, he said it can be quite boring and far too much waiting around.
The older members of the jury he was on were quite sentimental and gave an innocent verdict, one saying 'it would be like finding my grandson guilty'
Others had trouble staying awake
Juries should be made up of volunteers and 75 is far too old.
Most 75 year olds would get off service on medical grounds anyway.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:35 AM

I'd like to do it, but, I'm a terrible judge of character!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Hubby has been called three times (once to the Old Bailey) -far from being interesting Geoff, he said it can be quite boring and far too much waiting around.
The older members of the jury he was on were quite sentimental and gave an innocent verdict, one saying 'it would be like finding my grandson guilty'
Others had trouble staying awake
Juries should be made up of volunteers and 75 is far too old.
Most 75 year olds would get off service on medical grounds anyway.
If juries were made up of volunteers I think it would introduce a possible bias, though.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:37 AM

I would hate it too - thankfully, I've been excused jury service for which I am eternally grateful. There are people who enjoy things like that so why not have a register of them that can be checked out?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:42 AM

I've been called for Jury duty maybe a dozen times over the years, and have actually served on 3 juries. I hate getting the summons, however each time I have been picked for a jury I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I think it's very interesting.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 10:53 AM

I think that a lot of people up to the age of now 75 and not 65 will be let off the duty as not everyone is going to be with it at that age.
I have only been called once and enjoyed my time on the two trials I was asked to be on. I was the Jury Foreman on both occasions so I had to
keep awake as I had to remember everything and then get a verdict.
I would definitely have to say something to the person who said " it was
like finding my grandson guilty." I always made clear to all the other 11 people it was the evidence they had to make a decision on not what
they thought of the defendant.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Well I would love it, when I was younger of course, it would only have to be warm in the jury room and annie would be asleep, so no not now.I was a prison visitor when I was in the WRVS in Gloucester, for YPs and it is hard not getting involved with them but you have to remember they did wrong and were in there for punishment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top