Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Make Their Day

Watching a docu on London, a particular road sweeper was featured. Around 35 years in this work, he was truly dedicated. The one thing that saddened him - was when he says 'Good morning' to people, they just rush past, without a glance in his direction. This really saddened me. People like him do a worthwhile yet thankless task, so - like me, I hope you will all give a smile and a good day to all people like him ....... It means more than you would think ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Re: Make Their Day

Ah that's one thing I could never understand Pats, greeting people with a smile and saying good morning, surely no matter how bad your troubles were you could always acknowledge a greeting like that, it only takes a split second to nod your head. I feel sad when folks ignore your greeting, sad for them that is.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:36 PM

I agree Jem - I will be first to greet in future, wont wait for 'Hello' - just go on and do it ... I usually say hello to strangers if I catch their eye - Hubs says, do you know them ......no - says I
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:40 PM

What a shame, poor man and this could stop him speaking to people you know thinking every one was the same. Its lovely when people speak, a smile and hello is wonderful when you are old and may not ever have some-one to speak to, God Bless him.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

14-08-2013, 06:44 PM

You're right Annie - I know it makes my day, when someone bothers ....
God bless 'you' gal
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:52 PM

I think there's a difference in City and Country folk, even in the States. I have a home in the country and everyone waves at you as they go by.. It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to KNOW that person... they were just waving because that's what they did. In the City, that is not that common.... unless they are waving their middle finger.. but we have some "mean streets" here..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 07:46 PM

When I'm out walking and someone's walking towards me I try and read their body language. I they look as though they'll answer I'll wish them good day, but sometimes they'll deliberately look the other way so I don't bother speaking. It's usually older people who speak.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2013, 06:27 AM

Yes - thats how it works for me too Alan ... I get some younger ones tho', not often - but it does happen .....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Is he a "Poor Man" because he is a road sweeper?, seems like that prejudice stuff is creeping in again, and the fact that a manual worker possesses a polite demeanour, when more "qualified" superior folks don't speaks more of the others than him, good manners are a minimum requirement, not a skill to be acquired.Imo
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Tried to understand your post Spitfire - failed - again
All I can say is - this is a guy who is on the streets, so a lot of people pass him by - my point goes to others in that situation too - just used him as an example .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top