Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Mrs Mopp is one in a million

Let me explain. It was reported recently that 1,000,000 households in the UK employ some home help, mainly cleaners.

Would you take on a cleaner and what chores would you want the person to tackle, ones you dislike or ones that are boring.

What would you do with the time saved.

We took on a nice lady last month, for personal health reasons & it's good to know that all the basic jobs are taken care of. She does 2 hours Tues & Friday.

I can cut my toenails more regularly & read the paper from cover to cover. Apart from the Sports, and the horrorscopes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Re: Mrs Mopp is one in a million

I am a cleaner, wouldn't take one on as I would feel the need to clean before she arrived, I know what I think of some of the people I have cleaned house for
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 08:26 PM

I don't need a cleaner, in my humble opinion Sheila is over zealous in that department.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 08:36 PM

There would be no point in my wife taking on a cleaner, as she'd clean the house from top to bottom before the woman got there
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 10:10 PM

I don't need a cleaner, bacteria is good for me, i'm still here, I think.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 09:40 AM

What happened to WILLOW?

I expect she would say the same as the consensus so far.

thank you for your comments chums.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 10:07 AM

When I worked full time in England I employed a lady to clean 2 hours a day 3 days a week. However coming home unexpectedly one day and finding she had brought her very undisciplined child with her, I had told her when I employed her that I didn't want children in the house when I wasn't there, and she herself was sat at the dining table smoking and writing letters to someone, I was not happy, partly because not one job had been done. It wasn't that I overworked her, it was a bit of hovering and dusting, a bit of ironing and just making sure everywhere was clean and tidy. The second time this happened I told her not to come back.

In Kenya we had someone come in every day from 9 to 4, not because it was what we really wanted but because that's how things seem to be there. If you live there then you are expected to give work to a local person and they actually queue up at the gate hoping for employment. The first woman we had was lovely, she kept things nice and I never had to ask her to do anything, but she and her husband left the area as he was offered a job in Nairobi. The next one was a nightmare, lazy, greedy, broke almost everything she touched and often stole food to take home with her. All she had to do was ask and she would have been given it. We would have got rid of her but since we were leaving to move to Spain we didn't bother. Now we don't have a cleaner or anything else but I think if I felt I needed to have a special clean then maybe I would employ one of the many cleaning companies around to do one, depending on the cost of course.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 10:11 AM

We have always said that we could do with a cleaner, but like most things we never got around to it.

Where we live we asked around about cleaners and were told that they were in very short supply anyway.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 11:21 AM

We employed a cleaner but I found she liked to talk a lot to my husband and she tended to stay mainly in the kitchen so that the rest of the house was hardly touched - I ended up cleaning the kitchen before I went to work to force her out of it and she'd still argue it needed doing! No, said I, I want you to start upstairs today and work your way down. She wasn't happy but she did - until the next day and she'd start faffing in the kitchen again grrrrr

I've just taken on a gardener and his role is to do the lot - I've discovered I do not have green fingers at all and the garden is looking a mess. He's doing a brilliant job and I'm so pleased with him
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 01:47 PM

A lot of us do many more than one cleaning job so will take a break at one house or another, I hope my employers over the years haven't minded me sitting down before I started on their mess. Thinking about it perhaps I should have sat in my car in their drive or something, can't have the cleaner having a rest LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top