Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Ginger Pride

More than a hundred redheads have taken part in the UK's first Ginger Pride march.

A parade led by Canadian comic Shawn Hitchins wound through Edinburgh city centre to demonstrate against ''gingerism'' - described as prejudice or discrimination against people with red hair.

As a redhead, I came in for my fair share of 'jokes' about my hair colouring - being a redhead, I was able to give as good as I got but never thought of it as prejudice or discrimination.

I'd like to think this was done more in humour than seriousness but - what do you think? Do redheads and ginger people get treated differently in a seriously negative way?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/redheads-ra...85.html#8hBmA6
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Re: Ginger Pride

Have they nothing better to do ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Have they nothing better to do ?
It would seem not Part of me does wonder if it was used as a plug for his upcoming tour
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
[I]

I'd like to think this was done more in humour than seriousness but - what do you think? Do redheads and ginger people get treated differently in a seriously negative way?
I've been ginger all my life (heavily tinged with grey now) and have never experienced any problems. I think too many people nowadays are desperate to claim some kind of "victim" status. I'm not proud to be ginger, I just am.
Mick
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I've been ginger all my life (heavily tinged with grey now) and have never experienced any problems. I think too many people nowadays are desperate to claim some kind of "victim" status. I'm not proud to be ginger, I just am.
Mick
I am very proud of my hair colour and would never dye it a different colour; in fact, once the grey started to show, off I went to the hairdressers and had it dyed back to it's original colour

I remember watching a programme where contestants were offered a makeover by Charles Worthington and Nicky Clarke. One woman's hair they dyed a kind of reddish blonde (bit like strawberry blonde but with more ginger in it) and when she had the final reveal - she was horrified at her hair colour. Nicky Clarke said to her that she said she was tired of being a wallflower and wanted more attention and that 'blondes have fun, brunettes are sultry but redheads get noticed' - not sure that's what she meant though she actually looked very attractive and she should have thanked him as she looked a darned sight better than when he started!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 12:10 PM

I have joked (I hope with people) about their ginger hair but always had a secret yen to have such beautiful coloured hair myself ! Why anyone sees the fantastic colours in red/ginger hair as negative I really cannot understand. But I do hope people can still see the funny side of things enough to joke with people.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have joked (I hope with people) about their ginger hair but always had a secret yen to have such beautiful coloured hair myself ! Why anyone sees the fantastic colours in red/ginger hair as negative I really cannot understand. But I do hope people can still see the funny side of things enough to joke with people.
I think most people on the receiving end of a personal joke can tell if it's said maliciously or not - and if it's in good fun, then most redheads I know will laugh along. You have to suppress a groan when you hear something you've heard a dozen times before but the joker thinks it's original

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top