Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 11:20 AM

New Outfit? I'll Just Print One Off ...

The latest runway fashions aren't made with a sewing machine, but with a printer.

3D printing has been around for decades, but it has just started to weave its way into the world of fashion. A technology once used primarily for prototyping is now spitting out wearable items. Already, 3D printers are used to make jewelry and high-end apparel, and it may not be long before people can print out clothing from the comfort of their living rooms.

In fact, consumers will be printing their own clothing by 2020, according to inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil.

(Tried to copy photo of a dress but it didn't work but it is shown in the article.)

What do you think of this? Tempted? I can't help but wonder about people who work in the textile industry though.

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/3d-pri...200026115.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Re: New Outfit? I'll Just Print One Off ...

Don't think I will be walking Chloe in a chain mail dress it would go rust in the rain and may scare the sheep
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: New Outfit? I'll Just Print One Off ...

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Don't think I will be walking Chloe in a chain mail dress it would go rust in the rain and may scare the sheep

I'd been a bit dumb and thought they might be made of paper

I can't make my mind up on this one - I like the thought of choosing my own style and colours but then the old conscience get pricked ...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top