Join for free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Racist - I think so .....

Oprah - went into an exclusive - expensive shop in Zurich to purchase a handbag worth £25,000 ! The shop assistant took one look at her and said to Miss Winfrey - you cant afford it, even tho' the response was - I think I can - the shop assistant was not selling her the bag !
As we know - Oprah is black and even tho' the shop now says, it was a misunderstanding - I would say - get lost !!
If you are not aware - Oprah could but the whole shop and not make a dent in her pocket - no excuse to pay that money for a bag tho' - more money than sense .....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Re: Racist - I think so .....

Yeah.... perhaps... BUT it's HER money. If the woman wants to pay that much for a purse... who is any one else to tell her she can't?? What business was it of the shop assistant? AND more importantly what does Oprah being Black have to do with it? Did the Shop Girl NOT recognize her and figure that a Black woman couldn't possibley afford a purse that expensive?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

It doesn't matter who a customer is, it is not for a shop assistant to decide what someone can or can't afford to pay for an item .

I would have asked to see the manager had I been Ophra
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Calm down gal - No, the shop assistant did not know who she was....
Now - they do !
Reply to Audrey
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Calm down gal - No, the shop assistant did not know who she was....
Now - they do !
Reply to Audrey
Knowing Oprah.... I'm pretty certain they know who she is now.. I have seen Oprah out shopping in Chicago... Oh brother.... let's just say she does not look like she does on TV... She's also can be one mean lady. Poor shop girl...

BUT that said, how Oprah looked shouldn't have been an issue.. What the shop girl did was called "racial profiling", That's a pretty hot topic here in the States right now following the Trayvon Martin case in Florida. It was making an assumption based on race plain and simple, and not right.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-08-2013, 07:09 PM

No - it isn't right and Oprah for once, was too shocked to say anything untoward - simply left the shop !
AudreyII
USA

09-08-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
No - it isn't right and Oprah for once, was too shocked to say anything untoward - simply left the shop !
Seriously? Then it probabley wasn't Oprah. Just joking.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 07:27 PM

a lady I worked for came in one day most upset she'd been in an expensive shop and asked if they'd a particular pair of shoes in 51/2 the assistant yes but if you try these on in a 5 they'll probably fit and they're only half the price. Lady said but I don't take 5 and I want the matching bag, reply came, Oh the shoes will stretch and we've got this bag and it's almost the same as the shoes and a lot cheaper than the other one. Lady was apalled she was paying with a Platinum card, must admit I thought her accent was a giveaway too. I pointed out that she'd gone straight to town after doing the garden and was still wearing the same clothes.She did say perhaps that's why when she asked the fishmonger for 8 pieces of Monkfish tail he asked wouldn't she rather have salmon as it was considerably cheaper. Appearances can be deceptive but no racism here the Lady was white.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Thats why I dont bother with expensive shops meself - the staff are so 'crude' .......
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Sometimes I think these stories are a way of getting publicity for the star, having said that perhaps the assistant may not have been asked properly, I just feel there is more to this than is made out.
Something don't really ring true to me, anyway not bothered in the least.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top