Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 11:18 AM

How The Dickens ...

... does something like this happen?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/driver-s-lu...l?vp=1#kM6KSNg

I remember about 30-odd years ago someone's wheel rolling past us when we were driving but I'd have thought that todays technology (hydraulic things that tighten the nuts on a wheel) would have prevented things like that from happening.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: How The Dickens ...

That was in kiev perhaps they don't have our safety laws. Driver was on the phone too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Terrifying and yes, it does happen here as well (but no so much)..
It is part of a drivers duty to check wheel nuts for tightness at the start of each shift, and many truck wheels now have movement indicators.....you may have noticed the plastic tabs on many wheel nuts which will indicate if the wheel nut has moved because it will be out of pattern. Have a look at the truck parked up next to you at the lights next time that you are in traffic...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 02:00 PM

I saw the exact same thing happen only a few years ago on the M62, although a car wheel rather than a lorry wheel. It bounced across the central boundary and hit the windscreen of another car. Thankfully, noone was injured then either, which must say something for the quality of our windscreens at least!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Last year, while motoring down the M1, a 4 by 4 was alongside me when one of it's wheels came off and went rolling down the motorway in front of me. The car remained stable and pulled onto the hard shoulder and I passed the wheel as it slowed down. I don't know what happened after that but it was worrying at the time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 04:29 PM

A case of this perhaps??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RghKdGn8h5A
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Terrifying and yes, it does happen here as well (but no so much)..
It is part of a drivers duty to check wheel nuts for tightness at the start of each shift, and many truck wheels now have movement indicators.....you may have noticed the plastic tabs on many wheel nuts which will indicate if the wheel nut has moved because it will be out of pattern. Have a look at the truck parked up next to you at the lights next time that you are in traffic...
Yes, I've noticed those tags - yellow ones and wondered what they were! Now I can show off and inform others

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top