Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Double Yellow Parking Ban To Be Lifted

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles wants to introduce a "grace period" that would allow motorists to pop into local shops without being hit by hefty penalties by allowing drivers to park on double yellow lines for 15 minutes under proposals to boost trade in high street shops.

Higher fines could be introduced outside London for motorists who park dangerously in order to secure support for the move. (Why?)

A source close to Mr Pickles told The Daily Telegraph: "The high street is in danger of shrinking or dying off, and over-aggressive parking enforcement is part of the reason why.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/double-yell...6.html#KqrFcmP

Do you still do high street shopping and is parking a problem?

Would you say that parking is one of the main reasons that the high street is failing?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Re: Double Yellow Parking Ban To Be Lifted

Better to have a look at yellow lines generally IMO, we have some here where a school used to be 20 years ago, now it's housing but the school yellow lines are still acted upon as if it is still there. Seem to recall hearing a town in SE managed to make 30,000 new parking spaces by just removing lines no longer needed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Seem to recall hearing a town in SE managed to make 30,000 new parking spaces by just removing lines no longer needed.
Crikey! That's a lot.

It was nice to read in the article that they are owning up to using parking restrictions as a form of revenue raising - just like they did with speed cameras.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Not just double yellow lines, many small towns have been pedestrianized, as such, having to pay and display, then having to take a hike, just to browse, and hopefully make a random purchase, is now just too much trouble. I'm sure some research has been done on the subject of easing of restrictions on double yellow lines, Mr Pickles would not have made such a proposal, without knowing his Onions.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 04:22 PM

I'll give it six months. In that time, there will be so many complaints about buses not being able to keep to schedule, lorries not being able to get into building sites, supermarkets etc, etc that Eric Pickles will rue the day he ever suggested it.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 04:52 PM

In my town they have put parking lines ouside all the small shops with renewed frontage and are all tennented. It's slow but they seem to be returning, a lot are convenience stores, carpet stores, card shop,florist, funeral parlour,Turkish Gents Barber??,Dog parlour and swimming pool, Home Improvement outlet.
The Trafford Centre isn't far away from us and I'm told there's a few shops in there closed down now, too dear and nobody spending money. With fuel prices what they are maybe the small shops stand a chance if you can park near by.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Then they would need to come up with some other marking, where NO parking is permitted by anyone.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->

Double Yellow Parking Ban To Be Lifted

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles wants to introduce a "grace period" that would allow motorists to pop into local shops without being hit by hefty penalties by allowing drivers to park on double yellow lines for 15 minutes under proposals to boost trade in high street shops.
It's a proposal only, it has neither been approved or introduced.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:59 PM

They don't need to go to the trouble of removing them round here.
Nobody seems to take any notice of them anyway, they just park where they like, and they seem to think that they are immune from all parking laws if they put their hazard lights on.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
In my town they have put parking lines ouside all the small shops with renewed frontage and are all tennented. It's slow but they seem to be returning, a lot are convenience stores, carpet stores, card shop,florist, funeral parlour,Turkish Gents Barber??,Dog parlour and swimming pool, Home Improvement outlet.
The Trafford Centre isn't far away from us and I'm told there's a few shops in there closed down now, too dear and nobody spending money. With fuel prices what they are maybe the small shops stand a chance if you can park near by.
Part of me hopes that comes back. At first, big supermarkets were a hit for busy people but it's all become much of a muchness and I think I'd rather like shopping in the smaller shops where there seems to be more choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top