Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 07:50 PM

How many of you really check your supermarket receipts?

One of my favourite supermarkets, in particular, always seems to want to diddle me out of money. For a few years now I have kept a daily spend diary, in that I note down every single penny I spend, and on what. Stay with me, it is relevant.

Yesterday I did a big shop and one of the things bought was four small baking potatoes. Unfortunately I didn't write down the daily spend till this morning and discovered I'd been charged for new potatoes. Erm, they are completely different in colour and looks! AND, when looking back to another purchase, I found that the new pots are over a £1 more per kilo.

So, using my free bus pass off I trotted to the supermarket and duly got a refund of...50p. However, I then spent another £7 on more stuff! Yes, only I could manage that.

But this isn't an isolated case. There is almost always a discrepancy on my bill, whether it's a fruit or veg incorrectly identified, as in new/old potatoes (has happened before), or that a price reduction hasn't been given (charged full amount).

So. Do you? Check your bills? If you don't, why not? You could be overpaying pounds.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Re: How many of you really check your supermarket receipts?

If a supermarket always wanted to 'diddle me out of money' I wouldn't go there.

I always check my receipts before I leave the shop.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 08:38 PM

I use self scan in sainsburys so see each item go into the machine, then as I unpack at home I tick each item off. Husband is very unhappy if ticks are not in right places LOL then he puts it all away as things must be rotated and all labels facing the right way in alphabetical order.

(aspergers is a bogger sometimes).
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 08:55 PM

I never usually check my receipt, I must say - which is strange as I'm a tight wad in every other way.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Once I bought 48 bottles of beer from a supermarket(Christmas) They should have been 3 for £5 but I was charged £1.95 a bottle. I complained to customer services , was told price I paid was correct. I disagreed and took lady to shelf. She took offer off shelf and refunded me with twice the difference.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Always check my receipts before leaving the carpark. I have sometimes found wrong charges or items, though admittedly not often. A bonus when I do, though, as the supermarket not only refunds the difference but the whole charge so you get that item for free!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
One of my favourite supermarkets, in particular, always seems to want to diddle me out of money. For a few years now I have kept a daily spend diary, in that I note down every single penny I spend, and on what. Stay with me, it is relevant.

Yesterday I did a big shop and one of the things bought was four small baking potatoes. Unfortunately I didn't write down the daily spend till this morning and discovered I'd been charged for new potatoes. Erm, they are completely different in colour and looks! AND, when looking back to another purchase, I found that the new pots are over a £1 more per kilo.

So, using my free bus pass off I trotted to the supermarket and duly got a refund of...50p. However, I then spent another £7 on more stuff! Yes, only I could manage that.

But this isn't an isolated case. There is almost always a discrepancy on my bill, whether it's a fruit or veg incorrectly identified, as in new/old potatoes (has happened before), or that a price reduction hasn't been given (charged full amount).

So. Do you? Check your bills? If you don't, why not? You could be overpaying pounds.
Know where you are coming from, I used to have a spreadsheet for every occasion, took too much time, now I don't.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 05:54 AM

I used to keep a daily 'spending' diary - frightening, isn't it ?

If I have just a few iems I use the self service check out. If I have a lot then I go to a staffed check out. I watch the items come up on the till display and I also check the receipt before leaving the shop.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 08:31 AM

The easiest way is to use a calculator, as you pick each item up, put in the price - at the end of the shop press equals, you have yer total.
If the till does not tally - I then check the receipt saves a lot of hassle ....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
The easiest way is to use a calculator, as you pick each item up, put in the price - at the end of the shop press equals, you have yer total.
If the till does not tally - I then check the receipt saves a lot of hassle ....
Or even better, add it up in your head as you go round to give your brain some exercise

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top