Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

18-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Does anyone watch 50's & 60's Sitcoms

Hi my husband & I cancelled our satellite service on the TV about 2 yrs ago & don't miss it one iota.

We don't care for modern TV & instead we watch our favourite TV shows from before we were born or just little kids.

We only have time for 1/2 hr at supper so we'll watch an episode of The Andy Griffith show & before bedtime, we'll relax with another show which could be anything from Family Affair Leave It To Beaver, I Dream of Jeannie, etc. to Starsky & Hutch (geez, I loved S & H growing up in the 70's, ha ha! I had scrapbooks, posters, etc)

Thanks all, just curious
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: Does anyone watch 50's & 60's Sitcoms

I love all that black and white stuff, and the old films, always a good story line and no stupid endings that you can't figure out.
I get a lot of the old stuff on the Archive Org site, they have a huge selection and it's all free and without obligation, no signing up or joining, though you can join if you want to make any comments, it's a huge library including old radio shows and film documentaries, all for the public to use, the films are all in the public domain, you could spend all day there if you had nothing else to do, refreshing in these days of the grab all's.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 10:44 PM

I've recently got rid of my TV full stop so I don't have a one-eyed monster sitting glaring at me any longer. It hadn't worked for almost three years anyway so it was just taking up space.

I have watched many of the old sitcoms like George & Mildred, Waiting for God, and many other things as well, on You Tube, and it costs nowt, not even a TV licence.

Edit: Oh, I just bethought meself. You don't have TV licences in Canada, do you?
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

18-07-2013, 11:38 PM

Gee Jem, I think I'll have to check out that website you mentioned.
And Mollie, you're right, there's no TV license fee here.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by zoolady100 ->
Gee Jem, I think I'll have to check out that website you mentioned.
And Mollie, you're right, there's no TV license fee here.

And you've probably never seen the British sitcoms I mentioned either. It's this hot weather we're having - me brain's become befuddled.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

18-07-2013, 11:54 PM

No sorry. We have watched British sitcoms like Are You Being Served & one especially we enjoyed, Keeping Up Appearances

We sometimes had a hard time with the jokes or slang terms for things so didn't always understand the humour but still got a kick out of most of it.

After all Canadians are Americans too just because the US coined that term.
Short end is, we have different slang & humour
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

19-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Yes, I realise that, and yet I've read comments on You Tube by people from other countries who say British humour is the best, but if it's not understood then fair enough. To be absolutely honest, I can't abide American sitcoms. I've tried my best, but not a titter from me, and I have a good sense of humour.

I've tried watching Friends and some others, but I don't understand them at all.

I love Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served was a classic.

However, there's more than just comedy to watch, such as Tenko, Midsomer Murders (which I'm currently in the middle of) and loads of other stuff as well, so I don't need a telly (TV).
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

19-07-2013, 12:40 AM

Hi Mollie, I didn't mean any offense at what I stated. I just mean different words are used to mean the same thing here, so if a person isn't familiar with a particular term & its used in a joke, then it's harder to pick up on the humour

I've never watched Friends myself, & I can't believe the junk I hear people going on about at WalMart when they're looking at the DVD's!

I just walk away & say to myself "0-kee-dokee then"

Really, you should see the movies they offer to get dear old dad for Fathers Day....... "hey pop, I got you this great movie, but only 2 guys in it get their arms blown off, drag huh?"

Unbelievable.

Thank goodness for Starsky & Hutch back in the 70's! .
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

19-07-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by zoolady100 ->
Hi Mollie, I didn't mean any offense at what I stated. I just mean different words are used to mean the same thing here, so if a person isn't familiar with a particular term & its used in a joke, then it's harder to pick up on the humour

I've never watched Friends myself, & I can't believe the junk I hear people going on about at WalMart when they're looking at the DVD's!

I just walk away & say to myself "0-kee-dokee then"

Really, you should see the movies they offer to get dear old dad for Fathers Day....... "hey pop, I got you this great movie, but only 2 guys in it get their arms blown off, drag huh?"

Unbelievable.

Thank goodness for Starsky & Hutch back in the 70's! .

No, no lass, I took no offence whatsoever to what you said, because I agreed with you. Humour is a personal thing in different parts of the UK, so it's bound to be different for folk outside, plus we don't all have the same sense of humour anyway.

However, I will say with hand on heart that British mysteries are the best in the world.

Give this one a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHP2lKBxic
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

19-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Ok thanks Mollie, you're a dear heart
Goodnight
Gotta get choppin' veggies for all the bunnies & guinea pigs

I'll take a look at your link tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top