Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 12:59 PM

A new anti-squirrel strategy?

I don't know if it has been posted or discussed before but I've just spotted this article on a way to keep squirrels from the bird table/nut hangers.
Sounds like it would be worth a try - don't know if it would protect bulbs in planters etc?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Re: A new anti-squirrel strategy?

It'll certainly give em central heating DM.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Sounds good DM - maybe Eileen will try it and lets us know if it works!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 05:47 PM

I did try it and it does work ...posted on Catsey. Also the new bird feeder I bought after they destroyed the last one is supposedly squirrel proof, and seems to work. It's weighed with a sort of spring thingy so it sinks down and covers the feeding portals when the squirrel jumps on. But in my long and various trials to deter the horrid pests I've found nothing works to prevent the destruction of plants in pots and digging up bulbs. Tried blood meal, coyote urine and some sort of anti-squirrel repellent powder ... all to no avail. Sigh! And there is no remedy for the theft of tomatoes, or anything to stop them from chewing holes thru the soffit boards. It's a never-ending war.......
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Lol they may become accustomed to it and follow their human co-inhabitants and vote indian food as their number one take-away
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 06:48 PM

I bought a squirrel feeder when I had a problem with them, they left the bird feeders alone after that.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Squirrels are an urban pest here; the City is over run with them. No natural predators; trapping and relocating doesn't work (one of my neighbors tried it after they chewed a hole thru her porch roof to nest in it!); another pair had moved on the the property within the week. Not even a dog works: my next door neighbor has a JR, but the wretched vermin managed to dig up and eat his newly planted daffodils.... out of 100, 12 survived!! We hate them, but they're a fact of life; nothing but arboreal rats with bushy tails. I shall get off my soap box now!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top